New roof joists on brick shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a brick built shed. It is a single brick wall and currently has a metal roof on. It is approx 3.5 x 2.5m. I want to swap the metal roof for a green roof. I will need to add more roof support for this; Can I use wall hangers off the brick walls for this, or am I better off cutting holes in the bricks and resting the joists directly in these, as the current ones are?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You would struggle to use hangers at the top of the wall because there's little weight above.

Ok, great. One other question; the joists are running perpendicular to the fall of the roof. With the metal roof this is achieved by a change in the height of the joists across the roof. If I want to change to timber I guess I will want more contact with the joists so this might not work? If they were running parallel to the drop I know I could use firings; what is the normal practice with perpendicular joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back