NEW ROOF SHOWING DAMP ON FELT

just a thought but im pretty sure max pitch for double roman tiles is 22 degrees so with a pitch of 17 degree imo you will always have trouble with water ingress and the builder should have advised you of an alternative

Sponsored Links
Right then a things have happened since I last posted about my ongoing roof problems.

Cumbrianroofer you are 100% right in what you say but little did I know that different roof tiles require different pitches etc. So when I organised the council inspector to come out and inspector the problem he quickly pointed that the tiles used are wrong and that ‘through tiles’ should have been used. The inspector spoke to the builder (via the phone) but the builder kept saying that’s what the customer wanted BUT I was never told there would be a problem with this roof tile (double roman granular) im not the expert. The builder agreed to change the tiles but said a charge would be applied with which I said no way as it’s his fault for not telling me why i couldn’t have that particular tile.
Anyway, the roofer turns up to change the tiles and then pointed out that he mentioned the tiles were wrong for this pitch of roof when he first made his visit, I was never told this but the builder cracked on regardless. What’s more annoying is the fact that both tiles cost exactly the same so there wouldn’t have been a issue if the builder had informed of the tile problem.

Next problem, roofer puts on the new smooth faced tiles and sure enough it leaked. I got the inspector out and he said has the roofer installed soakers (new roof tiles are a flat modern interlocking tile, Redland) (new garage roof sits against house wall) I said what are they. He explained and sure enough soakers hadn’t been installed. Roofer came out had a right moan about how he never installs soakers blah blah blah but sure enough the soakers were installed and the roof so far is water tight.

There has been some other stuff going on with the roofer lying about broken tiles etc and having to replace them but that’s another story altogether!!

The roofer employed to do my roof has been p1ss poor from the start. I.e. never installed eaves trays on breathable felt – put the wrong tiles on- tiles don’t sit correctly, never installed soakers and his lead work is crap, all in all a case for little Dominic Littlewood, lol

I may pay less than the agreed price because of the crap i have had to go through, not to mention all the stuff i have to correct myself

Thank god that’s off my chest, cheers guys and gals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back