New roof, tarp, trouble.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you've pulled the tarp back off your lively new roof that's ready to be glassfibered and find that it's been leaking and all your celotex has a bit of water between it and the vcl (and some between it and tge osb top deck too...) what do you do?

Sponsored Links
I'm in the pub. And then I'll be in da club (gotta pay the bills somehow). It's what to do when I wake up tomorrow with a sore head and lovely blue skies.

Sponsored Links
With that. Though you're not that much help re. what to do post thanking god we're post-pluvial.

If the OSB is dry then get some resin and mat on it.
If it is just a bit damp on the top surface then let it dry (or accelerate the process with your trusty heat gun) and get some resin and mat on it.
If it has had a good soaking then you might have to think about replacing the OSB- the resin won't bond properly, it'll delaminate after a year or so & be a right pain to sort out.
Top Tip for fibreglassing- if there's going to be a bit of a gap (couple of days) between getting the boards down and doing the fibreglass then put a coat of resin only (no mat) on the boards. Any water won't then get to the OSB. Don't leave it too long- the resin is slightly porous so any ponding will eventually leach into it and then into the deck.

The water underneath- how did it get there? From above or from condensation. If the latter then you maybe have a design issue to contemplate.

Water underneath definitely came in when it rained. No heated space underneath so can't be condensation.

In that case no design worries, only problem you've got is if the OSB is soaked. The water underneath- odd drops or a small pool or 2 will look after themselves. If there's a bucket of water in there you need to get as much of it out as possible, otherwise it'll fester in there forever (VCL will obviously create a sealed space with no way for evaporate to get out)

Yep. About a bucket or so in there. Took the whole lot up, dried it, put it back down again. On the up side I didn't fall off.

I've now fibreglassed it & all seems pretty good. Things I learned: WEAR GLOVES ALL THE TIME. And one of those suit things. And use a bit less catalyst than you think you'll need and, most importantly: next time pay someone else to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back