Open rafters flat roof VCL detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On account of being a massive ponce I like the idea of having my new 220x47 flat roof joists exposed. And a nice ply deck on top also exposed. But this buggers my VCL detail!

So the question is: Is it ok to have joist> ply deck > VCL > Firring > Celotex > OSB 3 > single ply membrane? And if so how do you join up the VCL with the one in the walls?

Is this a thing that's often done or is BCO going to look at me funny?

Sponsored Links
What about the electrics, plumbing (possibly), 1/3rd span bridging and the odd missed nail being exposed also?

Electrics are going in nice steel conduit, plumbing in the walls/under the slab & re missed nails... i guess i'll have to aim straight.

I need solutions noseall - I've already made myself enough problems!

Though to be fair please do point out any more problems. Usually better to find out about them before you build the thing.

Edit: removed the bit where you had to be a mindreader.

Last edited:
Though to be fair please do point out any more problems.
How is the lighting going to work?

Things will look fine and dandy during the daylight but you will have a lot of shadow within the exposed joist recesses, unless you are clever with the lighting. What are you going to do with the lights incidentally?
And isn't that solid bridging going to throw another spanner?

Sponsored Links
Lighting in coolicon style shades run out of steel conduit attached to bottom of joists. Probably. Or

Blocking possibly adds to the ceiling effect. Or might look crap. Will find out!

It's the air gap between firring strips and over vcl that I'm interested in at the moment. Lighting can be approached in the traditional try it, hate it, try something else method.

you could use a torch on underlay on top of your ply that would work as a vapour barrier, then you could build your warm roof off that. But it will be hard to get you fixings through 6" celotex and not miss the joists a few times.

I had an epiphany while reading some old posts by Oldun and Noseall and others. It basically went 'Why not do it the proper / sensible / well documented / easy way' and if these open joists actually look good with the roof on then fit some battens and stick up either plasterboard or ply or whatever between them.

But while you're all here... If your flat roof is about a foot higher than next doors flat roof (cause you're actually insulating it and aren't a hobbit) and they're both meeting at different heights on the boundary how do you close / weather / flash?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back