New roof valleys - a bit shoddy?

Call him and suggest you dont want to tarnish his excellent reviews....yet.

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd update on what happened next. He did return to address the issues, but when he got here he claimed several were not actually problems (the ones hardest to fix like the tiles being cut back too far). He did replace one broken tile which he had glued back together and redid the cement that was cracked, which cracked up again a few days later.

After some heavy rain in July we had water dripping through the ceiling inside again. I called out a different roofer who was frankly horrified by the workmanship and has now replaced the valleys properly with GRP dry valleys. Lots of very heavy rain since and no more leaks. The new roofer wrote a report on what he found which I'm now using to try to get a refund from the original roofer.

Thanks to all who replied on here to confirm my suspicions on what a bad job it was.

For interest this is what the new, good roofer wrote about the original work. As you might expect there were more issues that weren't immediately visible from the roof edge.

"While stripping back the previous workmanship to the valleys I noticed the following things:

The cement was incredibly weak, typically a 3/1 mix would be used on all roofing work - there was a prebed of cement which was faced up with approx 5mm of pointed cement. This wouldn't have survived the first frost in autumn and would have tumbled out.

The valley trays were cut very short and not taken to a mitre, the lead saddle barely covered half of the two valleys joining - this would have allowed water in where the last ridge meets the roof

The cut tiles were too small leaving too much of the valley exposed

There were in two areas broken cuts that had been cemented back together or the missing tail/point was made up from cement

The 1st cut in the lead bay area was poorly done and driving rain could penetrate
Generally the workmanship was incredibly poor and of a standard I don't believe to be of any qualified or timeserved roofer."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back