New roof valleys - a bit shoddy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a couple of roof valleys replaced. It has rained hard since and they haven't leaked, like they did before, but they look a bit shoddy to me. They are much wider than other valleys on the house and seem uneven down the edges. I don't really mind about the aesthetics because they are not really visible but worried they might not last too long. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Its a bit rough, yes. Lazy I'd call it, especially the missing cut at the bottom, the glued on bit and the brushed finish rather than a tight trowelled/weathered finish.

Then again, when do profile tile wet valleys ever win beauty competitions. We opt for dry valleys every time. I had to re-build and replace a pair wets a few years back and replaced them with dry fellas. Needed a few more tiles but so much better.

Sponsored Links
More concerning is that they appear top have used soft building sand and a weak mix.

It might last a couple of winters
Yeah, it’s already cracking in parts. The bit I thought was odd is that other valleys on the house are a lot narrower and rain doesn’t really run across the mortar. Here the water runs from the tile and the across the mortar which acts like a bridge to the centre of the valley.

Here the water runs from the tile and the across the mortar which acts like a bridge to the centre of the valley.
Yes, they've had to bench the mortar in order to gain the extra bit so that the mortar meets the valley mortar gripper. They've even failed that part in places.(n)

All for the cost of an extra few dozen tiles and cuts.

Maybe they had loads of doughnut mixture that was going out of date? If you had 17 quotes and went for one of the cheapest then the jobs fine.

Ha. Actually attempted to get 4 quotes. One never got back to me despite lots of chasing. Agreed to go with the second most expensive but he failed to turn up to do the work 3 times. Did end up with the cheapest but he had over 100 positive reviews on MyBuilder. Guess those reviews may not be what you think.

Ha. Did end up with the cheapest but he had over 100 positive reviews on MyBuilder. Guess those reviews may not be what you think.
He probably had 100 family members do them .......if you get my drift;)

Question is, what to do now?

A, hope it’s alright and forget about it (not a good option)

B, get him back to correct it (high risk he’ll bodge it again)

C, bite the bullet and get someone else in to sort it out properly. Go for the GRP dry valley as mentioned above.

As much as it pains me to write off what I’ve paid I’m tending towards C as the best long term solution. At least then I can stop worrying every time it rains!

Go for B 1st, you know how it should be done now, let him know what you expect if he has any kind of reputation to uphold he should do it properly.
Thats if he knows how.

Just make sure you don't give him his 101st or whatever positive review. Tell all prospective customers how crap his work is.

Go for B 1st, you know how it should be done now, let him know what you expect if he has any kind of reputation to uphold he should do it properly.
Thats if he knows how.
You’re right. Nothing to lose by going for B first. I’ve sent an email listing all of the issues and have asked him to return to rectify them. Let’s see what happens.

No response to the email yet. Funny, he was responding within an hour before the work started...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back