How bad is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two semi detached Edwardian villas in Liverpool turned in to flats decades ago. Pictures are of roof at my house with wooden capping board sitting along edge of slates. This is a design common to houses of this region and period. Second picture shows neighbours roof after replacement of wooden fascias, barge boards, etc for plastic. Capping boards have not been replaced and existing slates seperated so that they sat flush on the edge. Is this the workmanship of cowboy builders and what could be the consequences of leaving it like this? I'm worried because our Freeholder is intent on having the same work done to our property.

Sponsored Links
I'll say you have better roofing knowledge than the cb's!
Don't do it cause it will cause leaks and drafts.

Sponsored Links
I'm worried because our Freeholder is intent on having the same work done to our property.
If you will contribute to works via a service charge (ie you have a typical lease) then as part of the s20 consultation you should be given the opportunity to nominate your own contractors for quotes.

If you will contribute to works via a service charge (ie you have a typical lease) then as part of the s20 consultation you should be given the opportunity to nominate your own contractors for quotes.

Thanks. I know the process but unfortunately no reputable roofers we've spoken to are willing to give a quote without first performing an inspection from scaffolding....because much of the woodwork visible from ground level (including some large pieces that have fallen off over the past year) is rotten and they need to establish the extent of the rot.

how about tell them "it all is - quote on that" :)

both are rubbish. yours has the timber hiding the fact the slates are short of the verge (common or not its poor detailing and the timber wont out last a slate verge) the other pulled the slates to try and make the verge both not great and needless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back