Plastic sheeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210120_215931.jpg

A few questions. I'm in top floor flat of Edwardian house. Water came through ceilings this week so I climbed up into attic to investigate. Found water coming down chimney breast and roof joist soaked first pic). No sunlight coming through but slates hidden by old roof felt. I did however find an area further up same wall next to a second chimney stack where felt had been ripped or pushed open. Found what looks like plastic sheet under/ above possibly broken slates. Has anyone seen this before? Freeholder had some cowboy builders replace barge boards and capping boards last Summer but we weren't allowed to inspect the work and no idea what they did. Expecting them back to investigate leak but can they do this from inside?

Attachments

• 20210121_130248.jpg
    20210121_130248.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210121_130307.jpg
    20210121_130307.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I imagine it hasn't got led flashing around the chimney and is mortar flashing, maybe the mortar has failed.

Can you see the roof from outside?

I imagine it hasn't got led flashing around the chimney and is mortar flashing, maybe the mortar has failed.

Can you see the roof from outside?

I think I see broken edges of slates and a gap where there are no slates at all. The gap being covered with what appears to be some thick sticky back black plastic material. If I am right it is a complete botched job, typical of the cowboys. It cannot be fixed from inside, ladders and maybe even scaffolding to access it.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. The hatch to the roof appears to have been sealed shut since the work was done in Summer so I can't take a look at the chimney stack. 3 storeys high at the front 4 at the back so ladders won't reach. When the work was scheduled we were told that the chimney stacks were going to be scaffolded for an inspection and quotes provided for additional work but that never happened...have water dripping down the larger stack when it rains even though there is a cowling on top. Another indication that they need repairing.

Sponsored Links
Not an acceptable repair. Don't pay the service charge for any new repair, and negotiate a reduction/refund from previous charge. Plus claim the cost of internal repairs from the landlord.

Can't be repaired from inside.

Thanks Woody. The roofer who did the work turned up today. Said that the leak was most likely due to driving rain (!)...and so unlikely to happen again. It was not windy when it leaked; it did rain but we've had a lot lot worse and I should know as I've lived here for 14 years.

Thanks Woody. The roofer who did the work turned up today. Said that the leak was most likely due to driving rain (!)...and so unlikely to happen again. It was not windy when it leaked; it did rain but we've had a lot lot worse and I should know as I've lived here for 14 years.

In other words, he cannot or cannot be bothered fixing the roof properly..

He was not a roofer. :cautious:

Was he the same bloke who put the polythene in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back