New Roof

SMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door had a new roof. Roofer used an under tray to join the 2 sides, (Semi Det), but it looks like my tiles have been lifted & now curve slightly upward where it meets next door.

My main concern is the tiles just above the gutter, the end one looks "Lifted", & i`m not happy. There is now a whistling noise above the bedroom, & the gutter looks lower too. My side has a PVC facia wheras next door has an "Over the top" facia, which brings the gutter out. Any roofers give me any advice please??

Also, the roofer removed my roof tiles without my permission.

1. Does he have the authority to remove my tiles without permission?
2. Does he need planning or building permission to do a re roof.

Sponsored Links
im sure they have to ask you to remove tiles, but they would need to do this to do it properly so it would be silly to say no if they are doing a good job. his last tile is raised to so maybe that is the tray they used holding them up. ask them to look at it for you, tell them to check the flashing on their side of the chimney too :confused:

Thanks, I did tell him that it looked like the tile was high, but he said it looked right to him. He also said every loft has a whistling noise, when I told him I never did, he got in his car & left.

Did he need permission from the council??

Sponsored Links
Not that I`m aware no. I did ask the neighbour if she wanted her roof doing at the same time though.

No. As I said, it looks wrong & the wind now whistles over the bedroom. My roof was flat & looked fine.

The gutter being low,Does emphasise the slight kick on your eave tile.
The rib on the bonding gutter does kick the tiles a bit.i would have used a
piece of 450x450 lead at the eaves then fitted the bonding gutter to minimise the tile kicking up at eaves level.

Why didn't the roofer use the same tiles so could have done away with the bonding gutter??and you are suppose to inform building control to check insulation in loft!

It's one of those, he's done a decent job and he's used a boding gutter but you've now got the noise. Could the noise be coming from the eaves area? The gutter/fascia/sparking felt or trays could be jiggled about a bit.

The whistling noise usually indicates a tiny gap somewhere rather than a big gap if that makes you feel better!

Might be underfelt ventilation strip - lots of little holes, like a mouth organ.

Well, as far as i`m concerned, if it doesnt look right, it isnt right. We had no noise before & I dont intend listening to it in the future. Before my roof was touched, without my (consent), it was flat, looked fine & didnt whistle, & i`m buggered if I will put up with anything less than it was.

If they had used the same tiles as yours then there would be no noise coming from the roof, did they have the same tiles as you before they got a new roof?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back