New Roof

No m8, they used to be the small 8 x 4 flat red tiles, my roof was replaced & flashbanding fitted over the join.

Sponsored Links
Flashband??? I sincerely hope you are mistaken sir!
I would love to see a picture of that because after 29 years in the roofing game that would be the first time I have seen that!

Well it seems you have both made the poor choice of not going with the same tile.

Flashband, yes, a strip covering both sides of the roof where the tiles meet. A house along from us had a new roof & has flashband to cover the two separations. Same as mine was.

When I had a new roof 10 years ago, my neighbour said she wanted a flat tile, just like the house across the road, so I had the same tile, then 10 years later, her daughter decided on a different tile, what could I do then??? My choice was in keeping with all the houses that had a re roof, the Marley Modern, my neighbour is the odd one out.

Sponsored Links
Using 'Flashband to join 2 roofs together is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. It is not a recognised standard practice as any of my learned friends here will tell you. In fact it is completely wrong. if someone working for me did that they would be fired on the spot!

The way the roofer has joined your roofs together is, in my opinion halfway right. We would have used a bonding gutter, but, we would have left a gap between the 2 roofs and pointed up either side with mortar. This is standard practice as described in the link below. That said different people have different ways of doing things especially in different areas, but if it was pointed it may stop the whistling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990wpFC8yLM&feature=youtu.be

The other thing that I have noticed is that your neighbours lead apron has no upstand which it should. Still, this is their problem, not yours. Experience tells me that if one thing is incorrect on a newly fitted roof, there will invariably be other things that are too.

Thanks Yorkie, the video was very enlightening, I watched a few others too. At least I understand the reason why the tile is sticking up, would I be correct in assuming either the latt is too high, the bonding tray is high at that point, or the tile is not sat properly on the bonding tray, or if they used mortar underneath, its too thick. Either way its a problem the roofer needs to sort out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back