new roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has recommended concrete tiles to replace the original slate roof on my victorian terrace which is not in a conservation area. The roof is leaking and in a very poor condition. Apart from the extra weight,which my builder has said he will have to add strengthening timbers to allow for, are there any other problems with concrete tiles.

Any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
don't do it, its a sacriledge to replace slate with concrete tiles, why can't he just remove your slates and re-lay, replacing any broken ones, and with a breather membrane underneath. that way you don't need to strengthen the roof and you retain the character of the house

If cost is a problem, you can buy synthetic slates which look quite good and are light.

For appearance and economy, some people use the original genuine slates at the front of the house where they show, and synthetics at the back.

When you come to sell the house, or leave it to your grandchildren, it will be more valuable roofed in slate than with pink concrete stuck on the top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back