Additional support for purlin roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're purchasing a Victorian 3 bed terrace, the survey says the roof needs additional support following the replacement of the slate roof with concrete tiles. No signs of any sagging.

Does this require building regulation approval?

No pics, but the recommendation is two inverted A frames to support the existing purlin, the remaining struts joined by a tie/collar.

TIA

Blup

Sponsored Links
If you have paid for a survey and then you ignore the advice given then I suppose that's their get out clause.
I would guess if the mortgage company insist on the work then they will want somebody to inspect it.

A building survey is not a structural appraisal.

Check that the surveyor is not turning a "something is not like I once read in a book" into a "it must be like I once read in a book", and that he had actually qualified to make the statement and has done the design calculations on the existing arrangement to enable him to make the statement in the first place.

I will ask for a spec as he has not stated the dimensions and precise location of the frames etc, maybe he will refer me to an SE, but I was after whether the works are structural slterations - which the planning portal says requires building reg consent.

Does "structural alteration" include structural improvement?

Blup

Sponsored Links
The alteration had already been done in the change of tiles. But yes if you are putting new loads on parts of the building then this should require b/regs approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back