New sealant on top of old sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new house about one and a half years ago and decided to top up the sealant around the bath last weekend. I thought about filling the bath with water first but with my dads advice i didn't in the end. Have i done the right thing?

Sponsored Links
You would normally fill the bath with water on a new install, as the bath will settle a millimetre or two when first used. Can't see that it should cause you any problems on an existing installation. Did you remove the old sealant first?

No i didn't, does that make a difference?

How long does it take to dry?, as i don't want to use the shower to soon.

Thanks for your advice.

It helps to remove the old sealent first. Sealent doesn't stick to sealent to well.

It takes about 24hrs to fully cure.

Sponsored Links
I did exactly the same thing yesterday. The bath is steel, so no need to fill with water anyway, it will not flex.
I removed the old sealant from around the top of the bath, and the soap dish built into the wall. A long tedious job to get the old sealant out. But in my opinion it is worth it, so that any traces of mould will not come through the new sealant. After I had removed most of it, I scrubbed around where it had been with diluted bleach using an old toothbrush, then rinsed, and left to dry thoroughly before resealing. Hoping it will now last for another 40 years!
It is important to get the right sealant, not all of them are suitable for showers, even if they are for baths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back