New shed allowing water through the tongue and groove shiplap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the end of August we took delivery of a Fort Harpford Barn shed, with 15mm pressure treated shiplap and shingle roof.

Last week I noticed water soaking along the t&g roof on the inside and on inspection found that there is no felt overhanging the edges of the roof sides and likely allowing water to enter the t&g before capillary action takes over.

I contacted the manufacturer and they admitted this is not acceptable and are coming to reflet the roof in two weeks. Which I thought whilst not ideal will solve the problem.

However, I have gone into the shed last night and the walls are now allowing water to get through the t&g cladding. So much in fact it's running across the floor. Given this was quite a considerable outlay I'm pretty furious.

Now I know, timber t&g isn't perfectly waterproof, but our last shed was a £400 B&Q affair with 8mm shiplap and didn't leak until it was all warped after about 12 years.

Anyone got any advice to offer? I've emailed the manufacturer again but won't get a reply until Monday. What's extra annoying is it's around 40 days after delivery, so I believe I can't now reject this building.

Attachments

• 20191004_180638.jpg
    20191004_180638.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 20191004_180632.jpg
    20191004_180632.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • 20191004_180804.jpg
    20191004_180804.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 861
  • 20191001_185057.jpg
    20191001_185057.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 1,337
Sponsored Links

Hi Ken,

Yes, they erected the building.

One of the first things I checked was my rights under the Visa scheme. I paid for it with a Visa debit card though.

Their response to the roof leaking did appear sincere.

One thing I have noticed is the roof only overhangs the side by about 10mm. Wondering if this is allowing the water off the roof to run down the walls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191006-082509_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20191006-082509_Messenger.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
One of the first things I checked was my rights under the Visa scheme. I paid for it with a Visa debit card though.
As mentioned earlier.

There is a scheme for debit cards, albeit not quite so wide ranging.

"Chargeback is a little-known scheme which gives you a chance of getting your money back from your bank if you bought faulty goods, a service wasn't provided, or the company you bought something from went bust and your goods weren't delivered."

Check KenGMac's link, as you only have 120 days to claim.

Sponsored Links
If the shed is found to be at fault then it is not fit for purpose. The 40 days doesn't come into the equation.

MugabesDeadCat, good morning.

Hope you had a positive response from the supplier?

I bet they offer to come along and plaster Mastic on the joints? but who knows they may ??? roll over and admit the shed is simply not fit for purpose?

As an aside? is this a one of bespoke or an off the shelf from the supplier?

Hi,

Update on this shed. It's still leaking water in through the walls despite several visits from the manufacturer. I now have silicone around the windows and all sorts which I'm furious about as when I apply preservative it's going to dissolve.

I've asked 3 times for a refund and collection of the building, which they're stalling on. I've now involved my bank, and placed a claim for a chargeback.

The shed was ordered via a concession in Dobbies

I agree, I have raised this with the manufacturer. Water is literally running down the walls externally.

They say they're all made like that. All I can assume is there's a lot of people out there with the issue who probably haven't noticed.

Fitting a gutter might solve the problem. ( the supplier of the shed paying for it )
I did consider this, but have been working in China for a few weeks and returned last night to look at their latest attempts.

Not only have they clad silicone all over, but the bottom corners are soaked through also. The table legs are saturated too.

I think it's gone beyond a gutter now. I don't want the building anymore.

Attachments

• 20191110_114837.jpg
    20191110_114837.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 884
  • 20191110_114727.jpg
    20191110_114727.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 770
  • 20191110_115002.jpg
    20191110_115002.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 730
Hi Ken,

Yes, they erected the building.

Their response to the roof leaking did appear sincere.

One thing I have noticed is the roof only overhangs the side by about 10mm. Wondering if this is allowing the water off the roof to run down the walls.

If all their roofs are like that the will all leak. You need the overhang (or a gutter) to direct water away from the wall.

MugabesDeadCat, good afternoon again.

Appears that you are going down all the correct routes as regards money back, Question have you told Dobbies of the issues? to exert more pressure they may ??? be willing to assist??

On another front. which way up is the T+Groove? can you see any ends or areas where you can find out if the Groove is uppermost or the Tongue uppermost?

Ken.

If its been caulked with silicone it will repel any surface treatment you paint on which is surly unacceptable..? looking at the pictures it seems the tongue is uppermost which is correct but having said that, theres nothing to say they are in deep enough.

Last edited:
MugabesDeadCat, good afternoon again.

Appears that you are going down all the correct routes as regards money back, Question have you told Dobbies of the issues? to exert more pressure they may ??? be willing to assist??

On another front. which way up is the T+Groove? can you see any ends or areas where you can find out if the Groove is uppermost or the Tongue uppermost?

Ken.
I haven't spoken to Dobbies, as it was through GBC Garden Buildings, a concession within Dobbies. Payment was made directly to a company called Timber Garden Buildings. They just seem to be stalling for time now.

I thought maybe the T&G is the wrong way, but if it is the entire shed is because it is all the same way up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back