shed door gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a 8x8 corner pent shed delivered and erected in December last year. In January, the roof felt was replaced since it was leaking.

With the warmer weather the wood has – as expected – shrunk as the boards have dried out.

This is fine for all horizontal shiplap, but has caused issues on vertical shiplap across the double doors.

I’ve attached a number of photos:
  • Door.jpg shows a front view of the doors. You can see that it has retracted so much that there are now gaps between pretty much every board along the double doors.
  • Gap.jpg shows this in more detail
  • Warped.jpg – it doesn’t show well on the photo but the “tongue” has warped outwards means it will not fit its groove again, even if the boards were moved.
  • Hinge split.jpg shows where the board has cracked due to movement
While I certainly expect movement and shrinkage, TBH I did not expect shrinkage to the extent that there are visible gaps, neither do I expect warping to this extent.

I will reach out to the company who manufactured, supplied, and erected. But I'd like to go in prepared. So - are my expectations off here? Is this to be expected? Should they have to rectify this?

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

Attachments

• door.JPG
    door.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 615
  • gap.JPG
    gap.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 415
  • warped.JPG
    warped.JPG
    548.8 KB · Views: 343
  • hinge split.JPG
    hinge split.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 385
Sponsored Links
not pretty
i would be asking them for a new door/doors
as an aside ex 4" txg will cover 88mm so planks at 90mm to allow for expansion is about right
what is the distance from the shoulder off one plank to the shoulder on the next i am expecting about 94-95mm
if its 5" add 25mm to above

It's pretty rubbish, but so is the fact you had to replace the felt!
The wood must've been soaking wet when it was built.

Is it worth complaining about? There's quite a few quick fixes - assuming the gaps are a problem to you.
You could cut some thin strips of wood and use them as cover strips over the gaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back