New Shed Room Leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right got some builders that done some work on the neighbours hours to build us a shed type room that would be used as a gym/sitting room (dimensions being 15ft L by 10ft W by 9ft H).

Any how I explained to them about the previously leaking and how the builders done a job just to build a storage room while not taking into consideration water leaking etc (so the old shed which was just used to store stuff had no damp proof courses or anything of that nature.

I made sure the new builder were aware of the leaks and they assured me that they will build it so well that even if the shed collapsed it would not leak.

I was happy to them to do their job but along the ways I did research (my mistake, I should of researched much before they started) and found out that they needed to put damp course between the first brick layers, inject the back wall and redo the flooring with a membrane.

So I told them about these few things along the way and they assured me again they guarantee it won't leak and if any problems occurred its their guarantee to fix it. So I let them carry on.
Any how as towards the end they were finishing the job, one day/night it rained and when I had came to the shed room there was damp on the floor but no trace from the walls (although it could be hidden behind the plaster boards).
So I told them its a good thing we don't have the flooring done as of yet and hes solution to this was concrete sealant which I thought fine they are the builders so it must work.

I also at that point found out they didn't put a membrane on the flooring and what they did was half of the flooring they had left from the previous builders job and the half they had no choice to redo they added a membrane on there.

Anyhow they put the flooring in and for 3 days it was amazing to be in the shed but at some point i did notice the sofa I put in there to feel a tiny bit damp but I thought its probably all still drying off so its normal.

Then on the 4th night it rained heavy and I the previous day I was there in the evening training on my treadmill.
The next day I woke up and had a terrible cold so I didn't bother going to the shed, then on 6th day I went in to find there was a big puddle on the flooring and some blue dots on the pain had appeared (refer to pics).

I spoke to the builders and they said they will be coming to sort it out but the main guy was away for a week on holiday so will need to be done when he was back, which was yesterday.
So anyhow the builders said they will come now tomorrow afternoon and on the other side of the wall (which they hadn't seen or touched as its some 1 elses garden) they will render it and plaster it.

I personally think they didnt inject the back wall in the first place from my side of the garden and all they did was plaster it, then plaster board it.

I don't know if their methods will be what is required and im thinking they don't know what they are doing.
They made the shed from 1 skin of blocks which was den rendered from the outside, then plastered both out and in.
The only place they used plaster boards was on the back wall and not on the sides or front of inside the shed.

Also currently the roof is puddling up and its been like that ever since they done the roof, they tried adding more black jack but so far hasn't made a difference.

Here are the images -

Sponsored Links
Sorry m8 about the pics, just as I was uploading them the main builder came and we had a chat.
He said hes going to render the back wall as he just checked it all out and there's gaps between the bricks as its a 30 year old wall.
He said theres no way it will leak after that, I asked him what happens if it will. He said again theres no way it will.
I didn't want to loose my patience as we've already paid him in full, as the job was complete before the leaking so I remained calm.

He going to put plastic sheet tomorrow over the shed to the bottom so no rain gets to it and then on Saturday hes workers will come and render the back wall.

Hi mobad, I've just registered on this forum then to speak to you over the room mate. I'm wanting the exact same room/shed in the back garden for the same purpose aswell actually (got a bench and weights for in there).

At the moment I have a little 9 ft by 6 ft concrete footing but that's all. So I need help from scratch, just a few pointers and general ball park figures for footings that you could advise me on.

Thanks mate,

Dan

Sponsored Links
You on about my sig mod?

EDIT: I remember now I said get me on 'myemailaddress', how come that's not permitted?

read the forum rules and find out, in short you can not type your email address in a post.

mobad, has also not posted in over a month so you may not get a reply

forum rule 4 says

4) Posts or signatures should not contain any contact details. Signature rules are here.

all you need to know is that it is a rule, you might not like it, but then life is like that. no one is forcing you to post. If the owner of this site says no contact details in posts, then there are no contact details in posts.

I do not see why the owner should make an exception fo you.
If one does it, everyone can do it, so no one does it. simple.

sorry but if you dont like the forum rules..................

(i also don't agree with some of them, but there is nothing i can do about it)

forum rule 4 says

4) Posts or signatures should not contain any contact details. Signature rules are here.

all you need to know is that it is a rule, you might not like it, but then life is like that. no one is forcing you to post. If the owner of this site says no contact details in posts, then there are no contact details in posts.

I do not see why the owner should make an exception fo you.
If one does it, everyone can do it, so no one does it. simple.

sorry but if you dont like the forum rules..................

(i also don't agree with some of them, but there is nothing i can do about it)

Wind ur neck in breezer, I wasn't at all expecting some sort of exemption to the rules of the forum, I was just wondering why it was in place!?

diyNOT is a mysterious place, some things are best not asked, the reasoning behind the rules, and decisions by the mods are two of them.

there are a few things I can't tell from the photos, but things that should have been done are:

DPM below slab
DPC in blockwork miniumim 150mm above ground level
DPM to link with DPC
Render to stop above DPC so as not to bridge the DPC.

The roof doesn't look likes it's been finished off properly... I can see wood at the corner.

The single skin, uninsulated walls will be cold and likely to form condensation when doing one of your sweaty workouts. They may also be suseptable to penetrating damp when it rains.

Ideally you would had a cavity wall or clad the outside with timber cladding over insulation (with a ventilated cavity).

the answer is simple

if you are not in the trade, and your knowledge of detailing is from neighbours / the internet etc, do NOT have this type of thing designed by a builder

speak to an Architect

he will keep you straight on Planning, Building Control, detailing, membranes etc.

"no probs gov, piece of p*ss" is no guarantee when it all goes wrong after your cheeky chappy builder is away.

some builders have agreements with Architects, or drafting technicians, and can gain all the necessary consents for you, but MAKE SURE YOU SEE THE PAPERWORK

so an Architect costs more money.

it WILL save you money in the long run
it WILL save you heartache
it WILL save your hours / days / weeks of your time.

If I remember rightly you posted on here about this project a few months ago as you asked for advice after the builder told you that he was going to leave one wall standing as he could not knock it down because of something to do with the neighbour.

I advised you then that I didn't think this was best practice and I wouldn't be happy about that.

This is the result, damp coming up through the floor and probably the wall, it really needed knocking down and clearing first and re-newing the whole lot, thus this is why you have a damp problem now, and you probably will have a real problem in trying to cure it!

Dont tell me you added a building to that very tall garden wall dividing the neighbour behined you, this will be a real problem to damp proof!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back