New shock absorbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just had 2 new rear shocks fitted to my vw polo (2011) as it failed mot , apparently one was severely leaking . my suspension now seems very bouncy is it likely a garage could of fitted something wrong ? Or is it more likely in my head . any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
You probably just got used to how rubbish it was and forgot how bouncy it should actually be.

Shouldn't new shocks make things less bouncy? Shock absorbers lose their effectiveness at dampening movement as they get older.

Did they bolt up both ends of the new shocks?

Sponsored Links
I think the OP is now feeling his suspension working properly again, rather than more bouncy!
It's nigh on impossible to fit these incorrectly, top mount and then bolt through the axle.
For sure, a completely nackered shock means the car is partially airborne on that side.
John :)

The new shocks will make the car ride harder but should stop it bouncing.

Peter

Defiantly more bouncy ( not a harder ride ) . starting to think the wrong shocks could of been fitted . is this even possible ?( would they fit )

The very role of shock absorbers (dampers) is to reduce rebound....when you hit a bump, the springs compress. If you didn't restrict the spring returning to its normal length you'd be airborne......this is what the shocks do. They have no effect on ride height or spring behaviour when it compresses.
Its possible to fit the incorrect shock - so long as it physically fits - but I wouldn't expect to find what you are experiencing!
Who fitted the new shocks?

Just a thought - don't these things have to be primed any more before being fitted to vehicle?

Is not what is being described effectively faulty shocks due to having air in their system due to lack of priming?

They were fitted by my local garage . they have a good reputation and are always busy

Two or three full movements and the shocks are at their top performance....if there is a problem here (which I doubt) its possible that the wrong shocks have been fitted.
Essentially, the shock rating depends on the weight of the car - or at least the unsprung weight at each corner.

The shocks are the correct ones for the car . but apparently a poor make (anschler ). Next question could budget shocks make a car more bouncy ?

They are certainly at the budget end of the market - almost ridiculously cheap!
However, they have to conform to a certain standard and as they are new I would have thought they are ok.
The Polo is a pretty lightweight car so maybe it would benefit more from Monroe, Koni or whatever....I don't really know. The shock test is to depress the corner of the car and then release - it shouldn't bounce more than 1 1/2 times. How you are meant to compress the corner isn't explained!
Your tyre pressures aren't too high, are they?

Just noticed on the back passenger side I get a series of knocks when I hit a bump in the road , I'm thinking of popping back to the garage and getting them to check it . tyre pressure was OK front down a touch

Sponsored Links
Back