New shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into this house a few weeks ago, and there’s always been a bit of a foul smell in the en suite bathroom. Tried cleaning the drains, didn’t make much difference. Yesterday (fun Christmas Eve!!) I think I found the cause under the shower:

3C278318-2697-4D82-A807-2640E14459A4.jpeg 76ACCDC0-EE45-4A23-894A-667631CC2507.jpeg BFA38DE2-DA6C-445A-8907-D533FF25675D.jpeg 9C4B86AD-CD75-467D-9B03-84118F26B74F.jpeg

So, as I’m off for 2 weeks, tomorrow I am planning to rip out this leaking shower cubicle and replace it with something a bit bigger (1000 x 800mm tray and enclosure ordered) which hopefully won’t leak.

62753937-29A2-4360-B34D-3B4FF069B1AF.jpeg

The stud wall between the shower and sink will be coming out, the tiles will be coming off the wall (and floor). The chipboard flooring in the shower area will be cut out and replaced, as will the plasterboard behind the tiles (as it’s likely to be damaged beyond repair when removing the tiles etc).

I’m thinking of replacing the plasterboard with the green water resistant variety, then applying Mapai tanking kit to this. Once dry, I will be putting up shower wall panels instead of tiles (at least in the shower area), such as this: https://www.interiorpanelsystems.co.uk/aquabord-pvc-white-sparkle-2-wall-kit.html

Does that sound ok? Or are there better materials I can use? Someone mentioned using hardie backing board instead of plasterboard, but is this overkill if I was going to tank the lot anyway?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd use a tile backer board, cement board, instead of plaster board even if you are tanking it.

If any of the walls you're retiling are outside walls, might be worth looking at Marmox backing boards (lightweight and reasonable R value). Bit pricey when you add all the bits and bobs in...

Sponsored Links
I'll say that panels are the way to go. With the ones you have chosen do make sure the walls are 'flat' as the panels do flex and follow the wall.
I've similar but used 'Rearo' Selkie panelling.
Get plenty of sealer into the corner mouldings/extrusions - you want it ouze out on the face side and clean it off before it cures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back