Plasterboard on top of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to convert a downstairs bathroom into a study! This involves removing a very expensive looking 4-piece bathroom suite (dark red) and a shower cubicle complete with mixer shower. The walls are tiled from floor to ceiling and instead of taking the tiles off the walls, I wondered if it would be possible to bond sheets of plasterboard on top of the tiles (which are very sound) and if so, could anyone recommend the correct type of adhesive to use? Obviously there are no tiles below where the bath is currently situated but I thought it might be possible to put dabs of plaster in that area before I glue the plasterboard to the tiles above. I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
I did this myself in last house and used Gripfill to bond p/b to the tiles

Never come across this before, however i would think board adhesive would do the job ok.

prime the tiles first just to be on safe side with 918 tile primer from evo-stick available from tile stockists.

use dry wall adhesive to stick board to walls available at all diy stores.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help.

I can't find anything on the internet about Evo-stik 918 tile primer but I have found something called WSE Primer/Adhesion Promotor from www.decoratingdirect.co.uk that is designed to be put on glazed ceramic tiles.

Then there is the problem of which adhesive to use. I've looked in the Screwfix and Toolbag catalogues and there is a huge range of different adhesives all of which appear to do more or less the same thing - stick anything to everything! Do you think the Pink Grip or No Nonsense adhesives would be suitable to bond 2.4m x 1.2m sheets of plasterboard to the tiles?

why not batten over the tiles with some 2x2 then fix the plasterboard to that? you could fix them with mechanical and chemical fixings then.

As i said previously, board adhesive should do the job.

It is like sh*t to a blanket, don't leave any in your bucket, you will never get it out ;)

Excuse my ignorance Aqua, but what is board adhesive? You advise not to leave any in my bucket so it sounds like something that has to be mixed? I've been on a couple of websites and all I can find is PVA Building Adhesive that comes ready mixed in 2.5L tubs for about £8.

I had thought of battening the walls Thermo but they are so smooth and flat and I don't need any space behind the plasterboard. I thought if it was possible to bond the sheets of plasterboard directly to the tiles it would be a whole lot quicker that all that hole drilling, plugging, screwing and then nailing.

This is the stuff i am talking about. Company guff below and photo.

Gyproc Dri-Wall Adhesive
A general purpose gypsum-based adhesive. For use with British Gypsum DriLyner systems, on high, medium or low suction backgrounds.

prd_driwall-adhsvco_hgh.jpg

To mix.

Put water in a bucket and add powder while mixing, not to wet nor to stiff ;)

Use it quickly, when it starts to go off in the bucket lose it or lose the bucket :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back