new shower not draining - no obvious reason

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just installed a new shower with new plumbing. For some reason it is not draining properly even though I think I have done everything correctly.

It starts with a shower waste http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/architeckt-1-12-chrome-433-17534

This is connected to the trap http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/tra...-inlet-tubular-swivel-anti-syphon-p-trap.html

The trap is connected to a 2.5 metre straight run of 40 mm pipe with a combined fall of 100 mm (so 25 mm per metre fall). The pipe has no obvious bend i.e. the fall is consistent along the length of the waste.

This terminates in a 90 bend to a vertical waste pipe down into a hopper.

When I turn the shower on, it fills up to a certain level, just under the rim of the tray, and then maintains that level.

It gurgles a fair bit and appears to be drawing air into the waste as well as water.

When I remove the grill from the waste, things are much better, and the water drains ok.

Totally lost for what to try next to fix this.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply.

I have access to the trap from below so no issue there.

In fact, I had the same thought as you so I temporarily removed the trap and connected up with a couple of right angle connectors - same issue.

Just a guess but I reckon the chrome waste fitting is too restrictive, try an ordinary shower trap and see how it works.

Sponsored Links
thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

however, could there really be much difference between the two grills?

One wouldn't have thought the difference should be significant. But if it is, then it is ;)

Sometimes fact overrides theory - hence why bees fly :)

One wouldn't have thought the difference should be significant. But if it is, then it is ;)

True!

If it works it will be a shame. I specifically got the chrome waste as the waste in my previous shower, which was chrome plated plastic, started to loose its chrome after a couple of months.

Never mind bees flying - what about the aeroplane on the conveyor :mrgreen:

thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

however, could there really be much difference between the two grills?

There is a difference - due to meniscus of water and also the velocity and letting the air escape :idea: The plastic one WILL work better ;) Trust me , I call myself a plumber

Ok, standard shower trap, with grill similar to white plastic one, except chrome plated, now installed.

Max water level is now approx 5mm lower than before so about 10 to 15 mm below the top of the tray.

Probably enough of a difference to be able to live with it.

Still, for what now appears to be a text-book installation, I was hoping for better.

How powerful is your shower ? any idea how many litres a minute you have ?

Just looking at the state of your tray (!) is the waste full of carp like we can see in the pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back