New shower not draining properly, maybe design problem?

So I should it not emptying at 32l/min?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, if those pics are what you see when you look from the front of the tray then that's a bite of a mare.

I'd avoid taking those screws out of the trap too often as well, as that loosens the bottom section of the trap and it's seal off of the bottom of the tray. It may not seal up properly every time or the screw holes may strip.

Unfortunately it seems that the trap/waste may be your issue, if you waste run is that short, traps doesn't seem to be able to handle the flow from the shower. Unfortunately I have to say that your installer wasn't clever there. If I'm going to plinth a tray like that, then always try to design in full hand access to the bottom of the trap.

Other option is to replace the trap with a better high flow trap. How that would be done is determined by how easy the tray would lift if that's all the access you have.

edited for some shocking grammer :whistle:

Last edited:
There's more to the trap than is shown in the photo I posted. I do think maybe it's just a crappy design though. I might be able to get more access going through the side of the platform but it'll be a right pain.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that trap could evacuate 32 litres per minute ,as specified ,under any circumstances.
And how on earth could you clean it ?

In the documents that are on the website, they reckon it's 'self cleaning'...

Told you it might be a wirquin :whistle:
They are weir traps - water slides over weir and then up underneath it.

I saw on another thread that someone said they drilled a couple of holes into the main section you can see from the top and that solved their problem. Does that make any sense?

I would think that would risk smells from drains to enter the room .

The waste pipe runs straight out through the wall into a drain.

Would making those holes theoretically help with the flow? It's a pretty short waste pipe so maybe the risk of stink isn't too bad...

Odd looking thing but at least it sits flush in the tray.
Can you get at the flat section of pipe- given the quality of the job it wouldn't be a surprise if it is unsupported so sags and airlocks when it gets some water in it.
Is it bossed into a soil pipe- if so, has it been pushed in too far?

Is the drain an open hopper ,or a vertical soil pipe that the shower waste pipe joins into ?
In other words ,can you see the water ?

The waste pipe just goes straight out through the wall and pours into a drain. No soil pipe.

Less risk of smells entering the room with that set up ,as not connected directly to the drains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back