new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello. had a electric shower for ages now. lookin at getting a consealed mixer shower. not really sure if this is ok cause i have a emersion hot water tank with the cold water tank sat on top of it ( one unit ) so will be gravity fed, the outlet from this tank (hot water out 22mm) will be lower than the shower head by approx 2 foot. i have no cold water tank in the loft. do i need a pump and i dont understand this essex type valve ? if i can use this type of valve whats the best way to pipe up etc. thanks

Sponsored Links
I would stick with the electric option. The combination cylinder does not have sufficient cold storage and a pump would probably drain it faster than it fills up. Without a pump, the flow from the shower would be very poor or non existant.

combination cylinders are not ideal for pumped showers as they don't store enough cold water etc.

directindirect-combi.jpg

dont bother with a pump with your setup. Wasting your money. You will be constantly clearing airlocks.

Sponsored Links
It depends how much you are prepared to spend. If money is no object, have an unvented cylinder fitted or, as seco says, install a loft tank, new cylinder and have a pump. IMO though a good quality electric shower is your best bet.

maybe no prob puttin a cold water tank in loft, to change the tank do i need to change my boiler ? and do i use the same pipe work ?

use same pipework and boiler. just needs abit of altering and a vent pipe etc added.

looks like the electric option, maybe one of those wireless systems, dont want a box on the tiles etc

what wireless showers do you have in mind ?
even the wireless electric shower ie triton 300 has a box on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back