new signs of woodworm in my floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! I've been slowly renovating a lovely house over in Bulgaria. It's nearly finished but last time I visited I saw new signs of woodworm in one floor for the first time. There were three or for little piles of new dust.
I can be pretty certain that there hasn't been any before as the house is left empty for several months at a time sometimes and, although I have neighbours who come in once a month, run the taps, flush the loos and open all the doors and windows for an hour in summer or light the fire and get the heating and hot water system going in the winter, no one cleans and I'm sure I would have spotted the tell tale piles of wood dust before.
My question is, as it is so little, do I ignore it or is it best to get a treatment and brush some over the holes? Should I treat the whore floor as a precaution and if so will it soak through the varnish which is fairly old or would I need to sand the whole floor? It is in the final part of the house to be renovated so it would be feasible to sand it but I like the old look and would prefer to keep it if possible (though not at the expense of eventually losing the whore floor!)
Also when I spoke to the guy who does lots of the bigger building work for me he seemed to think treatments are not available in Bulgaria. Although I'm not sure this is the case Id be surprised if there are companies who would do a survey so I won't be able to find out what kind of woodworm it is. Sadly my Bulgarian doesn't yet stretch to finding definitive information on such a subject either!Can anyone recommend a good general treatment I can take with me when I drive over in the spring?

Sponsored Links
Just get the entire place done,
it only cost me a couple hundred quid to get my whole house done in the UK,
I bet it's a pittance out there, someone must do it.

Thanks Mr Caveman, it's good to know that it could be so cheap! IThanks for the info and encouragement. If anyone has any more specific answers to any of my questions that would be hugely appreciated.
Cheers, Gail

well i would think you would need to check whether its ok to import any kind of insecticide into that country.??

Sponsored Links
Once again, thanks for the reply. Driving a can or two of woodworm treatment across a border in a van full of stuff isn't really my concern to be honest. I'm just looking for answers to my questions... But thanks for the warning!

in my humble opinion it will be better and cheaper to buy the stuff there
you have more chance off it being formulated to the local conditions
after all the wood and the beesties may be quite different as may the general weather conditions

Thanks for the answers everyone, however my questions still exist... Can I treat over old varnish?Do I need to strip the floor? Should I treat the whole floor or only areas where holes appear? Some relevant answers would be appreciated.

i would think the varnish has to be removed?
especially if your using a water based product.
think even a spirit based would struggle to penetrate.
if your going to do the job at least give it a chance other wise its a wasted operation.

my suggestion would be to contact the tecnical department off the the product you are planning to use and they will have more idea off the possible disadvantages or advantages off there product in another part off the world
for example there may be creatures there we don't have here that attack wood in a similar way

the lack off response is because few if any people are sure about the exact consequences

so if you can please give us feedback when you eventually find the answer it may be useful on future ocassions

do a search for wood boring insects
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...4Dg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1252&bih=566&dpr=1.09

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back