Wet Rot / Woodworm advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a problem with an entire floor in one of my rooms, confirmed wet rot / woodworm although brickwork is sound.

A couple of quotes I have had basically involved removing everything wooden, laying a new floor and spraying.

My problem is weighing up the huge cost compared to the alternative which is a friend who can lay a new floor in uninfected environments and a friendly building supply I work with who can supply all the flooring stock required.

My main concern is the "spraying". if it's wet rot and im removing everyhing wooden in the room, the new wood is pre treated and sealed, what exactly is left to sprayed. Is this just a precaution to kill off anything thats left?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Removing everything is the usual treatment for dry rot, are you sure they haven't quoted for that? It also includes spraying and drenching the brickwork and hacking off plaster, so is expensive.

Maybe the old timber is in a really bad way and so badly weakened that it needs to be taken out and burnt.

The room is 15sqm. I was quoted 3500.00 and 5000.00. I was also told it isn't dry rot, it is wet rot due to condensation, and the reason for that is because the walls and bricks were dry. The bricks were drilled and tested.

The wood is infested with woodworm and the easiest would be to replace the wood.

I was told we would need to move out for the day because they would need to spray. Since the the new wood is pre treated and sealed, what exactly is left to be sprayed? Is this just a precaution to kill off anything thats left? Is the new wood that's already pretreated and sealed being sprayed again, or is the dirt and the brick being sprayed?

Sponsored Links
the easiest would be to concrete the floor!!
however its not something i immediately go for as it restricts options for putting things under the floor.
i would try out a couple of other quotes.
as previously stated they would only need to spray after removal if dry rot was present.
the only other thing it does is treat the cut ends of the timber,which is necesary, but doesn't require a full room spraying. that is only needed when dry rot is present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back