New skirting boards and newly plastered walls - Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, did have a search of the forums, couldn't quite find an exact fit.

Have just had, rooms put in the roof of my 60s bungalow.

As is the norm, timber frame with plaster board and a skim of plaster over the top. So we have virginal walls and virginal skirting boards.

I have been painting the fresh walls (after a gentle rub over with fine glass paper) with a 3/4 paint (emulsion) and 1/4 water mix. Have got the odd little drop of this mix on the bare skirting and the wife has got very concerned saying I need to "seal" the skirting prior to any painting of them and these "drops" (and I have been wiping them off before they are dry) will ruin the skirtings.

Well not sure, but I though that if I run this mix over the walls first, I should then next gently rub the skirting down, then prime with oil primer and then finish off the skirting with a good gloss. Finally I then return to the walls and put the colour emulsion of choice on.

So;

Emulsion mix, prime walls

Rub skirting

Prime (oil) skirting

Gloss skirting (oil?)

Finish (Emulsion) walls

sound like a plan?

Steve, Canterbury :confused:

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of ways to do this but the best way is.
1/ Paint a mist coat on the walls as you have done
2/ Use a knotting solution on any knots on the raw timber.
3/ apply a primer or thinned down coat of oil based undercoat to allraw woodwork, no need to sand anything beofre this coat.
4/ apply an undercoat to the woodwork, this doesnt matter too much if it goes on the walls a little.
5/gently rub all woodwork down and hoover all dust up.
6/ apply finishing coats to all walls and ceilings.
7/ apply finishing coat of gloss to all woodwork.
If there were any splashes of emulsion on the skirting and you have wiped them off that will not be a problem.
The idea is that the last coat on the skirtings is the only coat that needs to be cut neatly back to the walls...not the other way round.
Hope this is of some help. ;)

Dam....! the misses was right.

Thanks, great, thats very useful....here we go then...

There are a couple of ways to do this but the best way is.
1/ Paint a mist coat on the walls as you have done
2/ Use a knotting solution on any knots on the raw timber.
3/ apply a primer or thinned down coat of oil based undercoat to allraw woodwork, no need to sand anything beofre this coat.
4/ apply an undercoat to the woodwork, this doesnt matter too much if it goes on the walls a little.
5/gently rub all woodwork down and hoover all dust up.
6/ apply finishing coats to all walls and ceilings.
7/ apply finishing coat of gloss to all woodwork.
If there were any splashes of emulsion on the skirting and you have wiped them off that will not be a problem.
The idea is that the last coat on the skirtings is the only coat that needs to be cut neatly back to the walls...not the other way round.
Hope this is of some help. ;)

You could go with this http://www.skirting-boards.co.uk/oak-veneered-mdf-skirting-board/ as they won't require anything more than a varnish or laquer, I've done this on a full refurb and results were great

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would not apply any oil based paint before emulsioned walls are finished. If any oil based paint gets on the walls the emulsion will not take. Any emulsion on the skirting will not make any difference, wipe it off if possible with a damp cloth but if it is dry just sand it before painting. Oil based paint can go over emulsion but emulsion can not go over oil based.

Oil based paint can go over emulsion but emulsion can not go over oil based.
Excuse me? I've always painted skirting first (after caulking if necessary), taking the gloss onto the wall. Then emulsioned the walls and cut the emulsion in to the skirting, which is much easier than trying to cut the gloss in to the wall. I've never had any problem with emulsion not adhering, or falling off.

I know people have their own preferences, but either way is possible.

Cheers
Richard

Just to be clear does caulking to skirting and architrave go on before any paint is applied or is it applied after the undercoats but before the final coat ?

Ideally the caulking goes on after the first primer as caulking doesn't always stick to raw timber very well.

Thanks for clarifying chaps.

And this applies to the caulking for wall to ceiling? Or does that go on before any paint is applied ?

If the area that is going to be caulked has already been painted at some time, then it can go prior to any other painting.

If the area that is going to be caulked has already been painted at some time, then it can go prior to any other painting.

And what if walls are fresh plaster ?

And also what stage does filling timber occur ?

Thanks

Mist coat new plaster first, Knotting solution on any raw wood that needs it.
Prime new wood. then caulk everything that needs it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back