New Slates or Use old ones...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I've had a few quotes for re-roofing my house , which has 2 elevations , (see pics) , I want to keep the old slates , mrs whats new shiny ones .. but thats 2k extra , and then the roofer keeps the slates to re-use / sell etc.... which I can't get me head around...

Anyway the reason for looking at a new roof/re-slate etc.. is that we have 4 bedrooms which suffer damp on the chimney stack wall , also we have a few loose slates that have been replaced in the past , but my questions is can these leaks be sorted out without having new slate re-roof , can the lead gulleys be replaced without replacing all the slate / or should I get my chimmney stacks re-pointed / looked at first see if that sorts the damp out... just looking for views / advice of folk who might of been in the same position , just don't want to spend 12k-14k on something which could be fixed for less... or should i just bite the bullet...apologies for rambling on...cheers ste

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

Sponsored Links
A few loose slates doesnt necessarily mean you need a new roof.

Same as lead flashings, gulleys etc, all can be replaced without having to renew the roof.

Damp ingress/penetration caused by uncapped unused or otherwise badly maintained chimneyheads again does not necessitate a full roof renewal.

Having said that depending on the age of the roof it may be past its servicable life. Best to get a few reputable firms to survey and quote for what is required.

If you do have the whole roof replaced, consider removing the stack at the same time - removes any possibility of leaks/damp and no need to repoint or repair ever again.

Sponsored Links
If you are getting damp on the chimney breast walls this has nothing to do with your roof at all. It's condensation on the inside of your chimney which is whicking through. Get a new roof if you like - but you'll still have the same damp problem.

Whether you re-roof or just patch repair, you are right that you should use old slates. Nice shiny Welsh slates are over £3 each, and the foreign ones (Chinese or Spanish are popular I think) are thinner and will not last (according to my roofer). You can get reclaimed Welsh slates for about £1.25 each, and they look SO much better than new shiny ones!

re=roof it with spanish cupa r12,and sell what get's salvaged.
That horrid grey stack wants dropping as well

it all depends on condition and quality of the existing slate... thickness has nothing to do with how long a slate may last...

... horrid grey stack wants dropping ...

Looks red brick to me.
Sets off the roof beautifully. An attractive house enhanced by the chimney.
If not used, (only a presumption) it should be pointed, capped and a couple of more substantial pots fitted. A good appearance can only enhance the value of your property.

My opinion - if you can afford it = Welsh slate every time.

I think he is talking about the horrible little grey casted chimney in the last pic.
The red chimney looks like it is servicing gas flues.

Hi Anyway the reason for looking at a new roof/re-slate etc.. is that we have 4 bedrooms which suffer damp on the chimney stack wall , []
As said - are the chimneys vented/ capped properly - also that is one mutha load of brickwok to get damp above the roof ;) I can`t see the detail of where the lead tray through the chimney is / should be - but I`d get the chimney repaired first . Repointed and renew the flaunching on the top around the pots - that`s a favourite place for water to penetrate

Thanks for the replies , well a couple of months down the line , and its getting re-slated as i type....the roofer has come a across rot in the barge boards on the cable end.. I don't want to go down the upvc route , but just wondering if these barge boards can be re-produced in wood (any one know of a good joiner...south cumbria , barrow in furness area ??) , or has anyone repaired wooden barge boards ? , the rot is in the top part of the board , slate/cement interface ..

slate is expensive so. I don't think your quote is to expensive also the slate that's on your roof Burlington can come in at 700 pound per tonne plus vat and they only average about 15m square per tonne trust me i know am middle of doing a 1500 meter square roof in Burlington also slating is generally more expensive as there's more skilled evolved to fit them and everything is cut by hand so takes longer but the finished product is 100 times better than any tiled roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back