new socket help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing 3 new sockets in my daughters room,previously 2 spurs(done by dodgy builder),i`m trying to put 2 on the circuit and have 1 spur....i`m planning on connecting to lower floor bedroom sockets.heres the pics of what i have and plan to do...the top 3 sockets are in loft bedroom,the middle 2 are in floor 1 bedroom directly below and the single double socket is in the lounge on ground floor(concrete floors)

pic1.jpg

and what i think is the best way i can i see
pic2.jpg

any advice welcome
thanks
mark

Sponsored Links
if the bottom 3 are part of the ring main, you can wire the sockets like this. It is perfectly acceptable, so long as the ring main is maintained

Firstly the bottom three sockets are wired in a ring final formation - the cable runs to the first socket and then to each socket and then back to the origin. This is a perfectly legitimate arrangement

The best way of doing what you are proposing is to break this three socket ring and incorporate the new sockets to form a six socket ring

EDIT: Well done Crafty beat me to it!

thanks for the reply,and the second diagram is that sound?as i don`t have much space to work and don`t wanna start chasing walls and making mess

Sponsored Links
its ok as is. Would be better to get all sockets as part of the ring though, rather than spurs.

ok thanks guys,much appreciated.i`ll crack on with that in morning and any problems i`ll let you know.....cafty how would you wire the 5 sockets to make a ring instead of having the spurs?
i`ve connected a cable from the socket in bedroom on first floor to the middle socket of the 3(which is chained to the other 2) for tonight only will that be ok?(3 spurs in loft)

cheers
mark

just to check - are all the sockets in the house on a single ring? You haven't got a ground floor ring and a first floor ring, each with an MCB in the consumer unit?

Difficult to suggest how to extend the ring without knowing what cables can be moved or replaced.

How easy is it to remove/replace/re-route the cables that run from the black blob to the middle two sockets?

Ditto for the cables that run from those sockets to the one on the ground floor?

And what is the black blob - is it the CU?

Here's a plan that might work - replace the right-hand middle-row socket with two singles in a dual-accessory box so that the ring can start and end at that location.

newring.jpg

Just a query - this was bugging me as i drifted off to sleep last night . . . that black blob - its not a junction box is it? i really hope not . . . or we have all been wasting our time. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back