New socket help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need advice on wiring my new light switch. I have bought a new switch to replace my dimmer switch but as you can see from the photos I have 3 red wires one fitted in L1 and 2 fitted in the other bit which I don't know what it is.

And on my new switch I just have L1 L2 L3 And L4 so where do these red wires have to go obviously the L1 from the old will go to L1 in the new.

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_141721.jpg
    IMG_20211216_141721.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20211216_141745.jpg
    IMG_20211216_141745.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
I would guess L1 and L3 only. I would test switch, but unlikely L1 and L2. The switch you have is a change over switch used when you have three or more switches for same light,

Your new switch is an intermediate switch. It can be used as a single way switch though (as per Ericmark's post).

If you decide to use that intermediate switch ,rather than fitting a simple one way switch ,the earth conductors should connect to the earth terminal of the switch plate. That should have been done on the dimmer switch too. Metal switchplates have earth terminals for a reason.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. So Terry I should remove the earth terminal and re position it on the earth conductor right?

The earth conductors ( the wires sheathed in green/ yellow) should be removed from where they are now ( appears to be terminal block) and should connect to the switchplates earth terminal.

As mentioned above, switches or sockets with metal faces should be earthed.

In the olden days when all back boxes were metal, the earths would be connected to the metal back boxes and if the face plate was plastic there was no need to earth the faceplate. In the event that the live popped out and hit the face plate, you would be protected by the plastic, if it popped out and hit the back box, the screws could become live.

(in the absence of proper earthing) If the same cable pops out and hits the reverse of the faceplate, then the face plate becomes live.

Thanks for the advice guys managed to get it all sorted earthed the wiring to the earth terminal. Lights working fine with the new switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back