New socket in loft.

Adam_151 said:
andrew2022 said:
there all plugged into each other. there is a total of about 20 sockets all fed from 1 socket

then you get the people who don't know much about electricity trying to tell you that you are overloading it :LOL: , like I did when I had a load of wall warts in multiway ext leads for outdoor xmas lights, total demand was *well* below 1kw

buts ut is safe. all plugs have 13A fuses in, so the fuse in the first plug will blow if overloaded. total load is nowehere near 1KW anyway

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
andrew2022 said:
there all plugged into each other. there is a total of about 20 sockets all fed from 1 socket

then you get the people who don't know much about electricity trying to tell you that you are overloading it :LOL: , like I did when I had a load of wall warts in multiway ext leads for outdoor xmas lights, total demand was *well* below 1kw

Would still be protected by the 13A fuse in the first plug top preventing overload.

Fire hazard if extension leads are not unwound fully causing heat to build up.

The biggest cause of accidents with semi-permanent extension leads is not electrical overload, (which shows up pretty quickly as a burning smell..)_ but un-noticed mechanical damage - flex is much softer than fixed wiring cable, and is generally 'installed' in more exposed manner than a fixed intallation. This is why there are far more accidents in countries where the regs restrict DIY wiring, and therefore encourage more semi-permanent extension leads to sheds etc and less fixed wiring- one of many reasons I am opposed to the over zealous enforcement of part P here.

Sorry, but had to get that in.

Sponsored Links
yai46 said:
Fire hazard if extension leads are not unwound fully causing heat to build up.
When my bathroom was being refurbished last year we had a Dimplex oil-filled rad on temporary heating duty in there. The flex was taken under the door (so there was no plug in the bathroom) to an extension lead on the landing.

I came home one day to find that my wife had tidied up, and wound all the slack lead onto its reel so that we now had an auxiliary heater on the landing as well....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back