Help to put a socket in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a switch in the airing cupboard that used to turn on the immersion heater in the storage tank. I want to use the switch to put a socket in the loft. Can I replace the switch with a 13 amp fused switch and run a cable up in the loft to a socket. Is this ok or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a sparky, so please correct me swiftly if I'm incorrect.

I don't see a problem with doing this, as long as the fuse/mcb in the CU is re-labelled from "immersion" to "loft radial".

Providing the fuse/mcb provides sufficient protection for the cable feeding the existing switch & the cable you run to the new socket is sized according to the fuse in the new FCU.

Of course, I guess the feed isn't on an off peak supply?

Assuming there is nothing else on the old immersion circuit and the fuse in your fuse board is 15 or 16 amp...... You could remove the switch, run a length of 2.5mm twin & earth cable up to the loft. Connect the two cables togther using a choc block (of suitable capacity and cover over with a blanking plate.
Put a double socket on the end in the loft and you are done.

Or you could retain the existing switch in the airing cupboard if you want to.

Sponsored Links
its an old school term for connector block,they allways used to be brown!

Be careful. Some lofts generate condensation on the underneath of the roof in cold weather and this can drip down onto electrical fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back