Putting double socket in loft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice if possible.

I want to get a double socket into the loft to power a cctv system.

I thought about taking a spur from the lighting but have done some research and seen this appears to be a no no.

I’d therefore have to get a spur from the upstairs sockets ring.

Our airing cupboard seems to be the best place for this but there’s no socket in there to use. We have a combi so our airing cupboard is empty of any electrics - apart from a small artificial heater that’s on a fused switch. Can I use this fused switch for the double socket as well as the artificial heater?

Or can I convert the fused switch to power the double socket in the loft instead of the artificial heater? I’d then be able to isolate the double socket if needed?? We never use the heater so I’d be happy to remove it and use the switch for a double socket instead.

If none of these are options, will I have to use a normal upstairs double socket to spur from. I’d rather not have to do loads of channeling out the wall to feed the cable really but want to do a proper safe job and not a botch job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you think it is a no-no?

Alternatively you could use/share the heater feed.

I’ve read on multiple occasions that you shouldn’t do it. From what I understand it’s in case someone thinks it’s isolated in future because it’s a socket whereas it’s actually on the lighting circuit?!

If it’ll work, I’ll consider it and label it up or something to prevent any future accidents. Otherwise I’ll try the heater feed if that’ll work.

I’ve read on multiple occasions that you shouldn’t do it.
There is just one of the regulars in this forum who will take every opportunity to say that it "shouldn't be done" - and that despite the fact that 13A sockets are one of the things which the Wiring Regulations explicitly say may be fed from a lighting circuit!
From what I understand it’s in case someone thinks it’s isolated in future because it’s a socket whereas it’s actually on the lighting circuit?!
That's one consideration, but "his" usual argument is that someone might plug in a vacuum cleaner, tripping the lighting circuit and hence 'plunging the house into darkness'.
If it’ll work, I’ll consider it and label it up or something to prevent any future accidents. ...
It will certainly 'work' - but I agree that it would be sensible to label it to indicate that it is on the lighting circuit (relevant for isolation, as you say) and hence only suitable for small loads.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
From what I understand it’s in case someone thinks it’s isolated in future because it’s a socket whereas it’s actually on the lighting circuit?!
That’s rubbish. Anybody doing any electrical work on any circuit should (must) be following safe isolation procedures.

You could always use 5A switched sockets instead of 13A ones. This would ensure no-one plugged a 'normal' item into the lighting circuit.
If possible, that's ideal (and there'#s not necessarily any need for them to be switched ones) - BUT the usual reason why people want sockets in a loft is to plug in 'wallwart' power supplies, that will only plug in to 13A sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Which almost certainly used to be for an immersion heater.

And it's a POP to take a cable up into the loft from there.

That’s great, thanks for all the replies.

The bit about the lighting circuit was actually on several different forums but as long as it’s safe and won’t set my house on fire then I’m happy to do that.

It’s interesting to get the opinion of several people.

Cheers.

If I were to use the lighting circuit, would it be best to cut into an existing cable and use junction box or just use an existing light fitting for the spur?

I am about to fit a single 13A unswitched socket near my front door to power an intercom. It will be supplied from a lighting circuit as that is easiest, perfectly safe and it needs to be 13A because the intercom has a wallwort. I know it will be safe.

I am about to fit a single 13A unswitched socket near my front door to power an intercom. It will be supplied from a lighting circuit as that is easiest, perfectly safe and it needs to be 13A because the intercom has a wallwort. I know it will be safe.
I hope the lighting circuit is RCD protected then. Or it won’t be “perfectly safe”, will it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back