Putting power sockets in the loft

Depends on what cable you plan to run up to the loft. If flex, then a flex outlet plate would be my suggestion, but most of those are bottom entry.
If you are using trunking then don’t use a patress box, use the existing back box and fit a cooker outlet plate mounted upside down.
The trunking will probably butt up to the plate.

Something like this maybe

Sponsored Links
You don't need to put a surface box on top of the recessed box you can just run the trunking down to the switch then chisel out a small channel and the cable can go into the recessed box or as TTC suggested an accessory but upside down, he also mentioned a flex outlet plate with bottom exit but top exit if upside down... ie

Last edited:
Hi All, sorry for the lack of updates. I've had this awful bug that's been going round but now on the mend. I checked earlier and the immersion switch in the main electric box is 16A.

Will it still be OK to use this switch in the cupboard to run power into the loft or will I need to get someone in to change it to a 32A one.

Thanks.

Brett

Sponsored Links
Hi All, sorry for the lack of updates. I've had this awful bug that's been going round but now on the mend. I checked earlier and the immersion switch in the main electric box is 16A.

Will it still be OK to use this switch in the cupboard to run power into the loft or will I need to get someone in to change it to a 32A one.

A 16amp supply should be all you need.

No you cannot do that without increasing the size of the cable. 16A will be fine.
Maybe go to 20A or 25A if your model of consumer unit has them but being realistic 16A is plenty for what you have described as the others have already stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back