Adding power sockets + Light to loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving into our house soon and was suprised there is no power in the loft.

There is a light in the loft, but you have to disconnect the bulb in the landing and plug in a lead, then turn the light switch on :eek:

So I want it done properly.

What I'd like is to have a double socket plus a tube bulb or something like that.

I'm guessing, dropping a cable from the loft to ground floor consumer unit and plug in, job done?

Or would spurring off from down 1st floor plug socket?
(by the way as you can tell, i've no idea about electrics and rightly so)

Things I'd be plugging into the loft sockets would be a server/monitor & switch and a booster box.

How much roughly would it cost to do this job? I'd like to say no more than £200 or is that laughable for this type of job?

Sponsored Links
Spur from the socket would be simplest way to go.
New circuit from the Consumer Unit is likely to require Local Authority Building Control involvement - unless you run the spur from the socket circuit breaker at the Consumer Unit itself.

If you do intend to run a spur from a socket you need to ensure that the socket isn't already a spur - you cannot run a spur from a spur.

Run the 2.5mm² T&E cable to a double socket in the loft - then a similar size cable to a switched fused connection unit (3A) then 1mm² T&E cable to your light(s)

Depending on the cable runs - about an hours work - so with parts shouldn't be more than £100.

Oh thanks for that, that sounds kinky.

Shame about having to let people know, as I'd prefer to go to the cunsumer unit and a section says "Loft" but if it's a chore then no point.

Is there any way to confirm something hasn't already been spurred, but I suppose when you take the back of you'll see more cables?

£100 would be fantastic :)

Shame about having to let people know, as I'd prefer to go to the cunsumer unit and a section says "Loft" but if it's a chore then no point.
If you employed a 'self-certifying' electrician to do it, the 'having to let people know' would not be an issue. The electrician would deal with that, and the cost of that would be minimal. That way, you could have the 'loft' MCB in your CU if you wanted (assuming there is a spare 'slot' for it - is there?). If you did it yourself, 'letting them know' could cost you a few hundred quid.
Is there any way to confirm something hasn't already been spurred, but I suppose when you take the back of you'll see more cables?
The number of cables going to a socket is a clue, but does not necessarily give you the answer. An electrician could sort this out.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Spur from the socket would be simplest way to go.

If you do intend to run a spur from a socket you need to ensure that the socket isn't already a spur - you cannot run a spur from a spur.

Run the 2.5mm² T&E cable to a double socket in the loft - then a similar size cable to a switched fused connection unit (3A) then 1mm² T&E cable to your light(s)

So are you suggesting running two spurs from the socket? Or running a spur to a double socket then a spur from that to the fused connection unit? Neither is acceptable.

Run a single spur for the double socket. Take the light from the upstairs lighting circuit which is available in the loft at every ceiling rose directly underneath the floor.

Take the light from the upstairs lighting circuit which is available in the loft at every ceiling rose directly underneath the floor.

And then if the upstairs circuit trips you are in darkness both in the loft and below

Also, if you want to work on the upstairs lighting circuit you have to isolate your light in the loft too.

For a loft light, either a new circuit or a spur from a ring final is better

So are you suggesting running two spurs from the socket? Or running a spur to a double socket then a spur from that to the fused connection unit? Neither is acceptable.
I seem to recall I highlighted the issue running a spur from a spur.
However, for once the IEE seemed to taken a common sense approach with respect to Appendices, siting only appendix 1 as mandatory and the rest as informative.
Yes the OP could run cable from the nearest socket to an FCU(13A) in the loft then to a double socket - then to a second 3A switched FCU and onto the ceiling rose - or he could also take a common sense approach and follow my suggestion.

Take the light from the upstairs lighting circuit which is available in the loft at every ceiling rose directly underneath the floor.
I would prefer to keep the loft lights on a separate circuit to the upstairs lights for obvious reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back