New socket in "utlity" room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am converting a downstairs toilet into a utility room. The problem I ahve is that there are currently no electric sockets in the room to run the washing machine from. Please can someone advise on how best to get electrics into a room with nothing but a pull cord light.

As I understand it you can't run electric sockets off the electrics for a light. The nearest electric mains cables are from a redundant electric cooker connection or a kitchen socket.

What is the best course of action?
Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
You can spur off the kitchen sockets as long as they are part of a ring and not a spur themselves. Also as there will be water in the utility room this will be notifiable to the greedy b@@@@@ at the town hall. Get an electrician in, it will be cheaper.

Sponsored Links
and from what twisted definition of part P did you get that?

it's not a kitchen or a "special location"

If the utility room doesn't have a sink then it's definately not a kitchen per the part P definition.

OTOH if the utility room does have a sink you get to the sticky question of what exactly is needed to count as "food preperation facilities"................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back