Replacing shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refitting my cloakroom. The previous owners removed the washbasin and installed a washing machine instead. As it had effectively been a bathroom before there was only a shaver socket and no other electrical points. As it's now used more as a utility room I'd like to remove the shaver socket and install a standard electrical socket. My question is, can I simply switch one for the other or is it more complicated than that? Unfortunately the previous owners disconected the socket so I can't work out which circuit it's on. Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it's on the ring main (or a spur from it), then yes, replacing it with a normal socket should be fine, if (as is common with shaver sockets) it's powered off the lighting circuit, then no, you shouldn't replace it with a normal socket...

You need to be a bit careful with regards to part P though, as the room you've described might be classified as a kitchen or a bathroom, which would mean it's a notifiable area, and from my understanding means that while you can do direct replacements, you couldn't change a shaver socket to a normal socket...

Generally shaver sockets are fed from lighting circuits rather than socket circuits, plus then tend to be close to the sink, so I think all in all changing it to a normal socket would not be OK.

If you want to be sure, get an electrician to have a look

SB

Sponsored Links
Rebuke..... A bathroom has a bath or shower in it.
Have a look around - any baths or showers? Have you looked carefully behind the washing machine?

OK so its not a bathroom then:

Lets have another look. Is it a kitchen? Any food prep areas?
Kitchen sink?

Nope, so its not a kitchen.

A utility room isnt a kitchen.

So, unless there's new circuits involved, this is not notifiable works.

I wouldn't have thought so either, however the Part P doc (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf) states any work on kitchens or other special locations. Bathrooms get covered under special locations as it explicitly states "Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin", but what part P considers a kitchen isn't defined.

The fact there is a washing machine in (which is often found in a kitchen) could be argued to mean it's a kitchen, although I admit this is unlikely, and I'd probably conclude it isn't a notifiable area, but I thought worth pointing out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back