Shaver Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a shaver socket and used it to plug in an electric toothbrush that is on permanent charge. But I noticed the shaver socket became extremely hot. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
it seems many electric toothbrushes draw more current than a shaver socket is designed to supply and also do so for longer periods because of the charging.

afaict you have 3 options

1: move the toothbrush charger outside the bathroom
2: permanently wire in the toothbrush charger
3: say f*ck bs7671 and put a non-isolated socket in

plugwash said:
3: say f*ck bs7671 and put a non-isolated socket in

Don't do this - One day somebody will go in your bathroom and decide to plug in something like a hairdryer, and supposing it accidentally falls out of their hand into the bath - and then they go to retrieve it - without unplugging it!! - IT IS NOT WORTH IT! -unless you meant a non-isolated shaver socket , although I'd still say don't do it. The isolation is there for the safety, I mean you could always drop the shaver (i know in this case its an electric toothbrush - but somebody may use an elecric shaver in the future! ) in the sink and kill yourself ,and without the isolation - your dead meat!

With ref to your socket, maybe its plugged in to the 110v tapping, either by yourself ( or maybe its wired incorrectly at the isolating transformer inside the faceplate. This can cause overheat/burnout.

Failing that, try and find an electric toothbrush with a lower power rating.

Once charged, how long does the toothrush last? , why not charge it from the nearest socket outside the bathroom , and take it in/out with you when you do your brushing! I mean thats why its cordless!!!, otherwise you might as well get a non-charging one and use that when you are in the bathroom.

another option which i belive would be pretty safe though not compliant with BS7671 would be to fit a non-isolated shaver socket fed from a seperate higher power isolating transformer.

personally i don't agree with protecting idiots from thier own stupidity but i know some people have other ideas.................

Sponsored Links
Or you could pretend to be French, they allow sockets in bathrooms, allowed in Britain via EU rules :eek:
Get a Polish spark to do the work for you and alls ok ;)
Seriously tho just use a proper toothbrush.

Maybe not an answer to your problem..but.. I've had my rechargeable toothbrush plugged into the shaver socket for years. Socket never gets hot, charging base gets just warm. Maybe an investment in a rechargeable might be the cheapest answer - and you can take it on holiday without need for adaptors etc.

[quote="plugwash"
3: say f*ck bs7671 and put a non-isolated socket in[/quote]

this kind of thing is not in even as a joke,seriously

why? there is no legal requirement to comply with BS7671

afaict we are the only country in the world who think our citizens are too stupid to responsiblly use a socket in the bathroom.

viewer said:
Sorry meant new rechargeable.
That's why there is an
icon_edit.gif
button.....

Dellsmp said:
Or you could pretend to be French...
I know this wasn't serious, but you should be locked up for even thinking this :eek:

ban-all-sheds said:
Well - this is serious - why do you say that?
In order to be humorous, based upon the commonplace acceptance of the love-hate relationship between the French and English.

Of the French friends that I have, all of them have been tickled at similar comments that I've made in the past. If I've caused any offence then I apologise - that wasn't my intent.

No - that's perfectly fine - thought you meant he should be locked up for suggesting a non-isolated socket in his bathroom....

Rules is rules! where would we be without rules?
Yup France :LOL:
thanks to Al Murray, pub landlord for the quote
Serious now: French regs allow sockets in bathrooms, but their regs are different to ours, You dont have to stick to 7671, but it helps when you have to prove your work is safe and you are competent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back