New socket query / advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I plan to install a new socket high on a bedroom (stud) wall for a TV. The other side of the wall is a large airing cupboard where I can access the ring main. Ideally I want to make the TV installation as clean and clutter free as possible.

I can't decide whether to:

a.) install the socket on the bedroom side of the wall

Or

b.) install it on the airing cupboard side and run the TV power cable through the wall to the airing cupboard.

My thinking is that if I install the socket on the airing cupboard side I can get a really low profile wall mount for the TV without having to have the plug socket on display (the bedroom isn't very big so the less the TV sticks out the better otherwise I will be banging my head on it).

It also opens the possibility to install additional media equipment in the airing cupboard hidden away, although I appreciate a warm airing cupboard without line of site realistically isn't an ideal place for further equipment. I have no plans to use additional equipment, I just like to try and futureproof whenever possible.

If I was to install it in the airing cupboard, can anyone recommend a suitable wall fascia/plate which will allow me to run the TV cable(s) through the wall neatly? I am not sure the name to search for a suitable product.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you

Sponsored Links
Install a double socket on the same side of the wall as the television, it is then available for other purposes, and easy to unplug. There is a maximum recommended height for sockets of 1200mm iirc, but that does not seem to be mandatory. If it goes through the wall just use plastic conduit, oversized to be able to feed the cable through. Flex outlet plates are widely available.

Blup

Most of the TVs that I have fitted in the past were happy to use standard sockets and plugs. The exception being a B&O TV that was held off the wall with two very expensive fat/deep "washers" (from memory they cost over £90). On that occasion, I hard wired it in to a switched fused spur unit with a cable outlet.

Sponsored Links
No. That is just a recommendation for general sockets in new buildings.

If you want a socket on the ceiling in your house, then obviously you can have one.
Not mandatory in new or existing buildings, but can be followed as good practice in existing buildings.

Blup

Not mandatory in new or existing buildings, but can be followed as good practice in existing buildings.

Blup

Surely that is for sockets which are used for several different types of device. In this scenario, it will be used exclusively to power the TV. It is extremely unlikely that someone will take the TV off the wall to access the socket so that they can hoover the room.

Surely that is for sockets which are used for several different types of device. In this scenario, it will be used exclusively to power the TV. It is extremely unlikely that someone will take the TV off the wall to access the socket so that they can hoover the room.
Yes that is the general purpose recommendation but a socketfor a specific purpose can be mounted wheever it's most appropriate, IE above kitchen cabinets for under cupboard ELV wall warts, on the ceiling for a projector, on the side of a 4x2" loft joist etc.

Unlikely perhaps but a socket is a socket especially for diyers

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back