New sockets, in and out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a mate of mine who is a decorator ask an electrician at work about some sockets he required, 3 doubles in and two doubles out in shed. my mate was going to do the prep work chasing and fixing boxes to save money. This is apparently what the electrician said, he will run a single cable from the fuse board (has MCB'S) connect a switched spur, then run to connect the three double sockets and continue outside in armoured cable to the two doubles in the shed. Now I'm no electrician or anywhere but this doe's not sound right, a single cable for all that and a switched spur as well what for he has MCB'S, or am I wrong??? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
It does sound a bit of a bodge.

Can he not just extend the existing circuit for the indoor sockets and...

properly install a circuit to the shed?

Why the need for a FCU?
You could run a 20A radial from the CU, to the inside sockets, then a 20A ISO to outside adaptable box, connecting SWA, then route to shed, how is the SWA going to be routed externally? Generally it would be buried in a trench around 450mm-600mm deep, if the shed is detached from the house or at a height of 3.5m in air.
The sockets will require RCD protection as will any cable buried within the walls.
Also permitted safe zones for internal cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back