New Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

I'm planning on adding 3 double sockets into the cupboard under the stairs for all my recharging needs and also 2 60w wall mounted spot lights (non earthed, wired together & plugged into one of the sockets). I've never done anything like this before so your help would be appreciated even if this means you telling me not to do it!!

On the other side of the wall (in the lounge) there is a single socket, I plan to drill through the wall behind this socket and tap the mains from there using the thick square grey twin & earth. Then into a fused switch (30 amp?) and then into the 3 double sockets in series.

Is that the correct way?
Am I allowed to do it as far as part P goes?
Do I need to have it inspected afterwards?

Your advice is always appreciated.

Pete.

Sponsored Links
may i suggest an easier way would be to mount a 4 way socket* on the wall, and plug it in the socket the lother side, easier, complies with regs and part p and above all its SAFER

images

other brands of socket are available

DIYIdoit said:
On the other side of the wall (in the lounge) there is a single socket, I plan to drill through the wall behind this socket and tap the mains from there using the thick square grey twin & earth. Then into a fused switch (30 amp?) and then into the 3 double sockets in series.

Is that the correct way?
Am I allowed to do it as far as part P goes?
Do I need to have it inspected afterwards?

It's one way of doing it to make a spur. Technically you can only have one socket on a spur. But by using the FCU there is no limit to the number of sockets after the FCU as the FCU is protecting the cable. The FCU will need a 13A fuse though, not 30A.

When you're drilling through the wall don't drill in the designated zones for cable runs which are horizontally and vertically from any socket or switch or other electrical item. Best to take the cover off the socket (with power off) and check to see which way the cable enters the backbox.

The thick grey wire is 2.5mm Twin and Earth cable.

As for Part P it's up to you. If it's not in the kitchen or bathroom or outside then you don't need to notify Building Control. Small works such as adding a socket to an existing circuit are exempt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice HandyJon, exactly what I needed. 13A it will be.

Pete.

:D :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back