New Softwood Fence treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need advice on how to erect new fence around garden which is about 35 meters in length. Part of this fence is next to neighbours fence and garage with no access on the other side as both fences are flush together.
I have bought 4×1(inches) fence boards which are new softwood. Out of 250 boards, 60 are Sawn which will go at back of garden where there is less traffic. Rest PAR. As these boards are not treated and i have lot of questions:

1. What is best product to protect/preserve the wood against Fungi, Rot, Weather and UV.
2. Do i need to carry out above step before staining or is there a Stain product which is also a Preserver.
3. Do i pre treat the fence with presever/stain before erecting as back side of fence section next to neighbours fence and garge will not have any treatment?
4. What are my options in re treating the wood on unaccessible neighbours side after few years? Taking out each board and re treating is massive job but wondering how is it done in this situations?

I read online wood needs to be around 12% moisture content before treating. What could this mean and does this apply in my scenario where section of fence has no access after erecting?

Please let me know best actions to be taken to prevent issues further down the line as this is my first DIY project.

Many Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Rama,

For anything outside you would want to use pressure treated wood. Any wood that is only treated with a brush applied preserver won't last nearly as long.

You can get coloured preservers e.g. from cuprinolnor barretine etc. if you preserve then stain make sure you either use the same type (oil or water based) you can put oil over water based but not water over oil. Read the instructions carefully as some preservers/stains form a water repellent surface so you need to do all coats within a certain time frame.

As you say retreating it was will be a massive hassle for inaccessible areas so if you can I would change your boards for pressure treated ones. If they are very wet you can paint/stain them after a season.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back