New soil stack vent pipe - Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Background
==========

I live in a row of small detached bungalows, each about 3 to 4 feet apart. (Just enough room between them to give access to each back garden).

All of these bungalows in our road are either in the middle of getting extended or are mid planning permission etc.

Problem
=======

Anyway, my neighbour has pretty much finished his building work/extension and he has a problem, which now, is also my problem I guess.

One of his new bathrooms, the one furthest away from his sewer, backs onto a wall which is on our boundary.

He says that Building Control has told him that he needs to install a new soil stack and vent it to the outside.

This is a downstairs loo. He will have one other one downstairs and also one upstairs.

He has asked whether I would be ok on him having this come out of the wall facing us and projecting up his wall on the outside of his building, but in the my "air space" of my alleyway.

I am not very happy about this without at least seeing if there are any alternatives.

Questions
=========

As this is the last loo on his system, does it have to be vented to the outside?

Why can't it just be vented inside like his other 2 loos? (3 in total)

If he does have to have a vent pipe outside, can it be a smaller diameter than the one he is proposing of 4 inches?

How can any smells coming out of this stack be handled without having pipework going all the way up the wall and up over the gutters and eaves, causing an unsightly mess?

Any other advice for us?

Please help if you can. It would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's not really your problem. It's your neighbour's problem. Just tell him politely that you would prefer not to have any pipework projecting over your land, given how narrow the "alley" already is, and that there must be other ways that he can resolve his problem.

if it is definitely in your boundary long as you say no he can't do it.
if you say yes then any probs later he can say you agreed on him doing it.
but you must check it's in your boundary line first.

Sponsored Links
Avoid it if you possibly can - you are practically gining him right of way because he will need to come over to install and later maintainance.
It will put a little negative point on you property if you ever decide to sell etc.

I don't think its's to do with smells - it's more to do with flow and air needs to be drawn in otherwise the drain does not run properly. Tell him to investigate "air adimttance" valves.

I think he may get p***** off with us.

I don't think it is very fair as we haven't caused the problem.

I think they didn't realise Building Control would be such an issue. I think they were hoping to just fit a durgo.

Also, I think he was hoping I would give him an easy option.

I wish this whole thing could be avoided as it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and could sour relationships unnecessarily.

Any more helpful advice? What do you think?

He is also threatening/requesting to vent his shower and kitchen cooker hood into my alleyway too.

If he just does it anyway I will sue. I won't be bullied.

Please advise.

I think a good solution for him is to use a macerator or saniflow type of toilet.

Then he doesn't have to try and vent outside and he also avoids having the big stack pipe run up his internal walls.

How does this sound? Could this be a solution?

steadyonson, don't get involved in his problems! If he hasn't thought these things through before carrying out the work, that's his problem, NOT YOURS! Just tell him that you would prefer not to have any pipes or vents of any sort projecting over your property, and leave it at that.

What if he is silly enough to just go ahead, even coming onto my property when I am out etc.

Surely he can't do this?

Police action and legal ramifications if he does. But it costs money and time.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I have taken legal advice and he is NOT allowed to do this.

If he does trespass and do it without my permission then I can make a claim against him etc...

For both pipes and vents etc...

My house insurance covers all my legal fees :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back