New soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a toilet 5m away from the existing soil stack, on the same wall. Although this is within the 6m allowed, would it be normal practice to fit a new stack instead? To do this I will have to tee into the existing clay pipe drain which is 4 ft down. How complicated is it to tee into the pipe. Presumably rubber adaptors that connect different pipe sizes will be used. Does the existing pipe have to be sawn into to fit a modern tee and adaptors? Any advice and suggestions welcome! :confused:

Sponsored Links
It's a good dig plus pretty expensive fittings. Normally use a skil saw to cut through the glazed pipe. the other soil stack will be your vent though so you only need a pipe up to the toilet level then a cap.

If it is an additional toilet have you thought about a macerator?

Looking at the easy solution, would it be a big no-no in plumbing terms to run the soil pipe 5m to the stack, even though it's within the allowed limits. :?:

I wouldn't tee into the existing clay pipe drain at 4 ft down as you could have problem to unblock it if you have a blockage unless you have inspection manhole cover.I would connect it to the existing soil stack for trouble free and easier to work with.

The saniflow macerator toilet type is a good idea but the problem I find with them is they have lot of moving parts which can go wrong......

Sponsored Links
Not keen on a macerator. There is an inspection chamber 3 ft down stream of where the tee would be so could run straight into there but doesn't look easy working at the bottom of a 4 ft deep chamber! What do you do about repairing the concrete benching. Can you get something to make the concrete dry quickly so you can use the drain again? The neighbours also drain through here.

Put in a drain plug in the pipe temporary while you're making good with rapid cement which you have 10 minutes mixing time to play with and it set rock hard in 30 minutes ! then undo the plug, be prepared what ever come thru' the pipe !!!

See this for rapid cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back