New Solid wood Floor - Questions before taking the plunge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can answer a few questions before I spend the cash!

Basically a few months ago we had a leak under the sink and it ruined the laminate floor in our kitchen, we've claimed off the insurance and they have basically given us a voucher to spend at a number of floor retailers (runs out in a couple of weeks so I need to get my act together!). After looking around we are considering going for solid wood but I've got some worries….

The first concern is that our kitchen has always been really cold compared to the rest of the house… At the moment we have a wooden sub floor (tongue and groove planks), with the really cheap white insulation, then really cheap laminate floor (was there when we bought the house). Would solid wood offer the most heat insulation, and hopefully make the room a little warmer?

I've been told that it need to fit ply wood to the existing wood floor, and then glue the solid wood to the ply…. But how think does the ply need to be? And am I right in thinking I don’t put any insulation down?

Is the overall thickness likely to cause problem, (i.e. 12mm? Solid wood + ply - instead of 7mm laminate) - guess ill have to cut down the kick boards….and the door…….

How much harder is it to fit than laminate (ive done that before and it was pretty easy)

Cheers

Andrew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back