New speakers, wiring & head unit - Renault Kangoo van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

got this new Kangoo van with the worst quality sound system I've ever heard. Currently 2x speakers in the top of the dashboard where it meets the window, and standard tape player. I'm going to be in the van about 12 hours a day for the next couple of years and as a bit of an audiophile I'd like to upgrade this system to work with my ipod & CD's, and to sound better.

I'd like to change the speakers for some half decent ones, and run new better quality cables to them from a replacement head unit with integrated amp.

Has anyone got any ideas about how easy this might be?

My main concern is whether the speakers in there at the minute are an industry standard size, and so will I be able to get new ones which will go straight in the existing place for them, and then what the rough procedure might be for rewiring them (ie where do I run cables etc).

Finally, there is a space at the bottom of each the doors where a speaker might fit, I'd like to put one in there if possible, but I'd need to cut the plastic & run the cables to the door somehow - if anyone had ideas on how this might be done I'd apreciate it.

Or if anyone could point me to a publication or website which shows any of this it'd be great.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I managed to get 2 inch speakers for my old punto - the parcel shelf speaker holes were only 2 inch and i didn't fancy any cutting! :LOL: They were £60 IIRC, but they did sound very good for the size. Got them online.

If you are keeping the same-size speaker in your van, it may be worth considering a subwoofer - smaller speakers, no matter what their claim, will never be able to reproduce good bass. In a van, you have plenty of space to mount a sub and amplifier.

usually its a case of finding the same size upgraded speakers and changing them,the only issue ive ever had is the depth of the magnet on the new items,best to check clearences in the dash/door first before you buy,especially with the window down,dash mounted speakers usually sound awful,im no audio expert but i think its because of the lack of a chamber behind them,if it were me id get some component speakers up front,they can sound pretty good on their own,if you mount them in the doors you may be able to draw a new set of cables through the existing loom between door and pillar

Sponsored Links
When you say component speakers, is that cones which do bass, midrange and tweeter all in one? That would be an ideal solution.

Regarding the wiring, is it normally accessed from the engine bay? I can't see any other way to get at it...

basically no, components are a seperate mid bass speaker and a tweeter,gives a much cleaner sound
if you dont have any access from door to pillar you may have to put your own in,a bit fiddly but worth it,specalised grommets are available

I tried putting a new head unit in our Kangoo a while back. Found out the new unit was about 15mm deeper than the original. I thought about trimming back the plastic doughnut that accepted the pin supporting the back of the head unit... until I realised the plastic is actually part of the heater plenum chamber.... :(

thats a good point: is there a way to integrate a new head unit with the dashboard & steering column volume control?

this is getting to be v.complicated, I might take it in to be done by a professional!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back