New staircase painting/varnshing products?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive just had my staircase replaced, i.e. spindles, handrails etc.

The style I am going for is wood finish on the handrail (maybe a medium oak) and then paint the spindles white.

I presume the best way would be to do the wood finish first and then paint the spindles to avoid the handrail soaking up white paint if i slip with my brush, which is inevitable!

Im pretty sure on the spindle painting procedure, knot, prime, undercoat and gloss.

Its the handrail im unsure of, theres lots of wood products available, oil, wax, varnish, rubbing with a cloth instead of a brush etc.

Has anyone any advice on suitable products and brands?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The order in which you do it is really what suits your skill level..alltohugh i would leave the handrail til last

If you do the bae rails etc first you will cover it in dust etc when you do the spindles...what about.....knot prime fill rub down and undercoat spindles..do one coat of stain/varnish on the bare wood, rub it down, gloss the spindles, second coat on the wood?

Tip for you...dont use a coloured woodstain like sadolin etc..all the intricate cuting in may leave loads of tramlines/streaks in the finish..

I use oil based wood DYE with about a third if oil based varnish in it...it stops all the dye soaking in to quick and lets go go much further too...put it on with a brush and then wipe over with a cean cotton rag

It will give you a far more even finish..and once you jhave rubbed it down, because of the varnish you mayonly have to give it one more coat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.
I ended up applying some oak danish oil to the pine wood and it looked great so i did the whole thing with the stain (saved me messing about with paint too phew). I ended up using 3 coats on the handrai and posts and 2 on the spindles.
I applied with a brush and rubbed it over with a cloth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back