New starter, now no electrics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an s Reg SDI seat. Been struggling to start tracked to potential bad starter. They're not ridiculously expensive and I've replaced successfully before so I've gone ahead and put a new one in. Now I have absolutely no power at all. Any thoughts about what I might have done?

Sponsored Links
Just check the fuses right on the positive battery terminal....just in case there's been a short circuit when installing the new starter.
John :)

I agree with Burner it could well be a fuse or a stray wire earthing somewhere

...or I could have accidentally plugged one of the cables to earth...

Now I just need to replace the incredibly corroded coolant pipe so it doesn't overheat again - taking one of the starter cables which was clipped to it off removed the clip and put a hole in the pipe!

Sponsored Links
SEAT have a rather poor reputation and the quality of build is questionable. Basically Spanish Leylands mate built by the Spanish equivalent of Longbridge muppets.

Taking the heavy starter wire off is guesting a flash to earth if the battery is still connected - is the fault cured now?
SEAT are ok now, as part of the VAG group.....don't know about the older ones though.
John :)

It wasn't the main cable - there are three that run to the same +ve and took off in the dark silly me. It's fine now - although I think the overall problem was the battery which also needed replacing.

Like i say it's just the coolant now. Generally speaking the car is "ok" for an 18yo 132k car that cost £250. The engine is manky oil and rust but it's the same as the golf and skoda - once it's running it's reliable, slow, and gives 50mpg!

Back