New stop tap doesn't stop water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a brand new 32mm brass stop tap today on a new supply and it doesn't turn the water off. It winds in and out fine, but makes virtually cock all difference to the flow of water. I cant face taking it out again... but suspect ill have to. Anyone else experienced this or got any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Any photos? Are all the internals in place, for example, has the jumper/washer been removed (by others)?

I'll remove the whole thing 2moro and get it in a vice so I can remove the housing that houses the tap handle - no idea what it's called.

Is the direction of flow critical and if so is the valve fitted the right way round,

Reverse flow can force the washer to detach from the spindle.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there is an arrow on the body, make sure it is in the right direction. If removal of the tap is awkward, you can normally split the head from the body using a pair of grips and an adjustable (and a bit of EG)

Yeah the arrow is the correct way round. I tried splitting it, but its too tight while its in situ. I'll get it in a vice and dismantle it.

Yes, there is an arrow on the body, make sure it is in the right direction. If removal of the tap is awkward, you can normally split the head from the body using a pair of grips and an adjustable (and a bit of EG)

EG?

Attachments

• tartan paint j.JPG
    tartan paint j.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back