stop cock not stopping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when I turn off the interior stop cock the hot water taps dont run any water when open. However, all cold water taps run as normal with no visible change in pressure......help, my old bathroom is out and I need to run a new cold & hot water pipe b4 i can put the new 1 in......the wife is goin nutz!!! ohyeah, the outside stop appears to have been tarmacced over by NTL! Is there a way of replacing the inside stop while the feed is still live (or would that just flood the kitchen and make the wife kneecap me?!!)? :cry:

Sponsored Links
are you sure you have that the right way round if youve turned stop tap off you will have no water out of cold taps but you will have hot but only untill you run all your water out of tank then this will stop to.

you will just flood the kitchen, highly unadvisable to do it live

get on to your water company and get them out to find the external stop cock they should be willing

There must be another stop cock inside - follow the pipes. The one you are turning off is probably a secondary stop cock just for part of the system.

Sponsored Links
it is definatley the only stop tap, it is about 6 inch above where the pipe comes in to the house thru the floor.

my mum used to have this house about 15 years ago and she has told me that it is the right one. Is it possible that the interiors have corroded? the hot water starts running as soon as i open it again!

what are these fraazing kits that I have heard about and where can I get one from (reasonably priced) and do they work and how do I find out what size diamater fitting do I need an and and and my flamin ed urts!

If your stop cock is turning the hot off, where is the cold coming from ?
Unless you have a cold tank - this may explain the cold in the bathroom.

But the kitchen tap must be on the mains - so where is that connected to ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back