1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop cock in road doesn't shut water off completely

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by biggerlebowski, 12 Oct 2010.

1. biggerlebowski

biggerlebowski

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi there

I can turn the outside cock off by hand to a point where it definitely doesn't want to turn any more. But water still flows in taps in the house under low pressure. I'm reluctant to apply harder pressure on the cock in case I knacker it completely. Don't want to call southern water because they will probably put in a water meter (even if I take the "insurance" out then call them in a few weeks' time).

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do about it myself? ( I suspect not).

I had problems with the same stop cock a few years ago when it started leaking and we had to dig it out to put a spanner on it. I'm wondering if it's not been adjusted properly and is stopping the valve closing completely?

Best
    Dude

2. Sponsored Links
  3. seco services

seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    more likely will with a stopcock key.
    [​IMG]

4. biggerlebowski

biggerlebowski

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi there, thanks

I got quite a lot of purchase on it with a standard socket set and a suitable socket. I agree that a key would give it more welly but what happens if it "gives"? I don't want a fountain in my driveway :D

As I say, it feels as it it's gone all the way it can....I just spoke with a plumber's merchant and he says it happens all the time around here.

Best
    Dude

5. seco services

seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thats a chance you have to take or call them out.
    i get the same gut feeling everytime i shut an old stopcock, it's a gamble. ;)
    but cross fingers never had one shear yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. netech

netech

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    call the water board out and they will shut it off to prove if it works or not. if its knackered then they should replace it with a meter box but they wont fit a meter unless you request one.

7. adlplumbing

adlplumbing

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    also is it the right one this may not be as daft as u think
    use to fit water meter the mistake is easily made
    as i have found them on opsit side to road before know
    while their was one in from of the property

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links