New Stud Wall that will be tiled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just building a stud wall in my extension to create the wall between the ensuite and bedroom.
I've built it using 3x2 CLS timber, but one of the people helping me suggested it wasn't man enough if I was planning on tiling the wall, as it might flex.
Is this right?
Instead of plasterboarding the side that will be tiled I could always sheet it with ply and glue the sheets on to stiffen the wall if necessary.
What would you guys suggest?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The flexing of wall would depend on a few things,distance between the studs and nogging positions,also thickness of plasterboard.
The cls timber should be fine provided you take the above into consideration.
I have worked in a couple of perssimon homes and the flex in the walls was unbeliveable.

Use a flexi adhesive and grout too and you should be fine.

I've put studs on 450mm centres, and there are two noggins in each section, so its split into three, if that makes sense.
The ceiling is a standard 2.4m

Do you think thats enough?

That sounds fine,use 12.5mm plasterboard,once its all fixed in position it's surprising just how strong it can be ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back